What fertilisers do you use

• 10 Replies

snow white

What fertilisers do you use
« on: March 20, 2016, 20:58 »
...to get decent tasty crops.  I am never sure what to use on what to get the best out of each type of plant or even how often to do it.  Some years I get better crops than others.  I have been researching which has taken far too long,  and have got some sort of list.  I err on the side of organic and I do the smelly thing with comfrey and nettle tea.  What have you found to make a real difference.

Christine

Re: What fertilisers do you use
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 07:44 »
Loadsa compost in the soil every year and manure when available. Cuts down the need for fertilisers. Other than that - chicken pellets, bone meal and Epson salts if required.

Nobbie

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 10:00 »
It really depends on your soil type. I'm on heavy clay which is hard work, but has the advantage of being very fertile. I can get away without fertiliser as long as I keep adding organic matter to keep the soil microbes happy. Those combined with a healthy worm population seem to give enough nutrients for my crops.

The difficult soil type is sandy which doesn't hold nutrient well and probably needs fertiliser added regularly to keep crops growing well as the nutrients get washed out quickly. What is your soil like?

Snoop

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 10:50 »
A bit depends on your soil and what you're growing. John has lots of advice on fertilisers that I found really helpful:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/compost-fertiliser/index.php

If you have a look at his advice pages on particular types/groups of vegetables, you'll find fertiliser advice too.

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 10:59 »
 I have tubs of growmore, BFB, comfrey , epson salts on the shelf and fresh chicken pooh from the hens. I'll also use specific things like tomato and ericaceous feeds but as Nobbie suggests I'm on sand and nothing hangs around in it for long.

snow white

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 19:29 »
Clay.  I add either shop bought compost or home made compost to most beds every year, and mushroom compost to the rest.  I don't really have access to large amounts of manure, but if I get some it goes in my potato bed.  If I don't fertilise, my crops don't really grow that well and I have yet to get decent sized onions, some coming out not much bigger than when the sets are put in.  I am just trying to get more specific info on what each plant needs.  I understand leafy veg, and fruiting veg and root veg, but even within these groups different types have different needs.  Am I just making too it too complicated?  And is the fact I don't really add manure the reason I have problems.

Trikidiki

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 20:14 »
Pretty much the same as Lardman.

I have pure sand 18 inches down.

I use as much compost as I can produce, begging lawn clippings etc from neighbours. Bedding and droppings from the chickens go through the compost route. I hoover and shred leaves until I have filled a 1m3 bin then it decomposes over three years, turning into smaller bins each year as it shrinks (reduces to about 25% of the original). I have some comfrey but it isn't very productive, might be the beech tree overhead.

Added fertilisers I use are BFB and Growmore, plus occasional additions if I think something is lacking.

Composted pine needles or wood chip for the blueberries.

Proprietary tomato feed for the toms and peppers in the greenhouses.

Plotmaster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 20:19 »
Coffee Grounds and Comfrey Tea as BFB and Chicken Pellets make the foxes nuts and I end up with holes dug everywhere.

Snoop

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 00:03 »
I take it you practice crop rotation, so sooner or later what was your potato bed will become your onion bed, for example.

As I understand it, onions in fact don't mind quite firm soil. They don't do so well on freshly mucked soil (though I always add a bit, I have to admit), but they do like a bit of nourishment, P and K in particular.

I recommend you look at John's advice pages on growing particular veg you're interested in and on fertilisers in general. There's a heap of info there. Check out his piece on agricultural gypsum. That might help your clay soil and make nutrients more readily available to your plants.

In my case, I add muck and wood ash for starters. Onions, leeks and garlic get an extra dose of ash or two during the season and I also give the toms a bit of ash when they're fruiting. Potatoes get an extra helping of muck while I'm earthing them up.

And then I have some granular fertilisers. One that's nitrogen rich for leafy plants and for fruiting plants early on if I think they need it, and one that's P and K rich for when the fruiting plants start to flower and produce. I also went a bit mad and bought a sack of multipurpose fertiliser with trace elements. As I'm quite sparing with these, I now have granular fertiliser to last me this lifetime and the next and probably the one after that!

I bought a small bag of ground hoof (the closest I can get here to bone or BFB) because I wanted to add some calcium, but like Plotmaster, I found it just created a lot of problems as the dogs set about digging everything up repeatedly in the hope of finding something tasty to chew on. So I've given up on that and just stick with the ash.

You might find the current thread on improving soil useful too.
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=122841.new;topicseen#new
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 00:06 by Snoop »

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 12:55 »
And in regard to what particular vegetables need it's worthwhile taking a few minutes to do 2 things on this site. It's a wealth of information:
1. type each type of veg into the search engine above and read through the posts.

2. Read Munty's posts for an experienced perspective on veg growing.

In my opinion, you condition the soil and the veg take care of themselves.

Happy growing
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

snow white

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 14:55 »
Thank you for your input.  Its something to get my claws into now.

:D

xx
Old Fertilisers etc

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 19:59
by ex-cavator
xx
fertilisers

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 31, 2016, 12:59
by Swing Swang
xx
Fertilisers

Started by Nogger on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 23, 2009, 19:32
by Trillium
xx
fertilisers

Started by tomboy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 15:19
by aelf

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 39 queries.