Improving soil

• 19 Replies

Trikidiki

Re: Improving soil
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2016, 20:03 »
.....The main problem with clay soil is that the particle size is very small and they stick together......

The problem is how they stick together. Clay particles are flat plates which when they stick together flat-side to flat-side create the soil structure we all hate. If you can get the plates to stick together haphazardly or edge to edge then they still form clumps but they are more crumb like, the process is called flocculation. Adding humus (compost/manure/leaf mould) will aid flocculation. One of the best things to use is Gypsum which you can purchase from agricultural merchants, it also adds Calcium and Sulphur to the soil which are essential plant nutrients.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

Beekissed

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 05:09 »
I nice layer of chopped leaves for mulch this year will encourage the earthworms to break all that up for you and deposit those leaves into the soil to keep it from clumping later on.  Keep adding those leaves and other organic matter on top each fall/winter and let the worms do the rest. 

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 09:50 »
Adding a layer of rotting leaves every Autumn does make a huge difference and is well worth doing. If you need quicker results to give workable soil, then all sorts of suggestions have been made here.

I like your explanation of flocculation, Nobbie 😊😊😊

And a note of caution about using lime. Yes, it does help with "flocculation" but if you are going to grow potatoes, it can lead to an increase in scab for some varieties. It does not affect the eating qualities, only the appearance. IT took years to counteract the enormous quantities of lime that had been added to #146 before we took it on, apparently to try to get rid of wireworms - which it doesn't of course! At least with#145 no-one added anything so we are starting with our own clean slate there. And leafmould & compost is what we are adding as we go
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

tinyallotment

• Size isn't everything
    • Tiny Allotment
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2016, 07:39 »
I nice layer of chopped leaves for mulch this year will encourage the earthworms to break all that up for you and deposit those leaves into the soil to keep it from clumping later on.  Keep adding those leaves and other organic matter on top each fall/winter and let the worms do the rest.

Perfect. Don't dig the soil at all. Just keep adding layers of mulch year after year and allow thee worms and plant roots to sort out you soil for you. When you harvest plants try to leave the roots in the soil to rot down and never, never walk on your beds.

Paul

xx
Improving soil in my bed

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 04, 2011, 20:09
by mumofstig
xx
improving our soil

Started by morbidia on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 00:42
by morbidia
xx
Improving Garden Soil

Started by Otis on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post August 09, 2014, 21:37
by 3759allen
xx
improving soil with leafmold

Started by oldrobthatcher on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 09:07
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 38 queries.