celeriac

• 9 Replies

doubledug

• Experienced Member
celeriac
« on: March 05, 2012, 09:48 »
I have never managed to grow celeriac to any size so last years crop are still in the ground and have sprung into life , I was wondering if anyone has tried overwintering them. I would expect them to go to seed or just be tough as old boots. Any thoughts? 

savbo

Re: celeriac
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 10:10 »
finished the last of ours off in a soup on saturday, little ones with lots of slug/worm tracks through them... the bits I salvaged were still fine. However, I'm sure they'll go straight to seed if you left them to the spring

sav

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 15:33 »
Most of that family are biennial seeders, which is what you can expect this year if you leave them.

Best to start off celeriac early in modules. Now is a good time, then plant out later with the rest of the crops. This will give them the head start they need to size up.

I also found that as they grow in summer, to remove most of the leaves so the growth goes to the bulb rather than lots of stalk production.

doubledug

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 16:08 »
As i thought, Thanks for the tip about the leaves trillium i will give it a go apparently they also like a rich soil and to be regularly watered in dry weather. 

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 17:08 »
As i thought, Thanks for the tip about the leaves trillium i will give it a go apparently they also like a rich soil and to be regularly watered in dry weather. 

I have tried growing celery for three years on the trot as I love the veg and don't like to be beaten.

Last years was the best giving us really big beggars.
We made a raised hot bed. We made the raised bed, got bags of fresh horse manure form the local stables and then put a thick layer of the free compost that is the product of the green bin collection.  We were a bit nervous as to whether the celeriac plants would get burnt roots by the fresh compost, (didn't have any rotted) :(

But it worked a treat. 8) Lovely big roots, far bigger than the supermarket, and we have 5 left in the bed :D They overwintered well too.

We did remove some of the leaves.
Will be doing exactly the same this year 8)

Babstreefern

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 19:05 »
I tried once, two years ago, albeit unsuccessful. I thought though I would give it a go again.  On the packet is states to get rid of the top growth leaving only one on top.  So I shall try again:)
Babs

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 22:20 »
I have never tried celeriac. Does it taste like celery, I presume it does. Is it easy to grow, as I would like to give it a go?

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 22:23 »
You eat the root, which is quite ugly, but you peel it first, and yes, it does have a celery flavour. The shoots are too strong to eat like celery, so it's really just the root you want. Lovely added to soups, stews or done as a pureed sidedish.

It's not hard to grow, just needs a fairly long growing time and the bit of care listed above.

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 07:01 »
i tried celeriac for the first time last year.the plants grew well but the roots didnt swell,i didnt remove any of the foliage as was recommended(which is one one of the reasons  apparently they dont swell).so giving them one more go . :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 11:02 »
You eat the root, which is quite ugly, but you peel it first, and yes, it does have a celery flavour. The shoots are too strong to eat like celery, so it's really just the root you want. Lovely added to soups, stews or done as a pureed sidedish.

It's not hard to grow, just needs a fairly long growing time and the bit of care listed above.

It is also lovely done as rosti, roast with parsnips and as a dauphinous, ( sliced with garlic and cream), also great in coleslaw and grated as a salad with onion and and a french dressing or mayonnaise. ;)

It is worth persevering as they are so expensive in the supermarket.

xx
Celeriac

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post June 28, 2008, 21:01
by strangerachael
xx
celeriac

Started by ptarmigan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 08, 2017, 12:20
by Aidy
xx
Celeriac

Started by iggyboy60 on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 19:21
by barbarella
xx
Celeriac

Started by cooperman on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 24, 2010, 08:51
by Nobbie

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 32 queries.