rats

• 7 Replies

titch

rats
« on: June 21, 2010, 17:25 »
Wondered what people do about rats on their plots? Our plot is in a field full of plots, and we seem to have plenty of rats, and I wondered what to do about them, as one seasoned plot holder said they will be eating our crops, and my strawbs have been nibbled by something with teeth other than mine!!!
just keep breathing................

joshbuchan

Re: rats
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 17:59 »
well we put down poisen, but as this is a allotemnt site u will have to see if u are aloud the poisen the rats, aso traps would work. also u could get a list of peoples names, and saying somthing like we want a sterminater to some and take care of theys rats!!! ect.

rats spread Leptospirosis, Murine Typhus, Rat-bite fever (RBF), Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium and Eosinophilic Meningitis. they should be delt with amideatly.

also a afective way is shooting them, but i dnt know how with will got down with the land lord or who eva owns the site.

titch

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 18:27 »
I was thinking along the same lines....... Prettys sure one or more is living in my pallet compost bin!!! Will have to ask about poison, but traps shoud be ok I would think as I can put one int e space under my shed with somethign very tasty on. Thanks for the idea about traps

joshbuchan

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 19:09 »
its ok, traps are a good afective methered, i recoment atleast 5! baited and reset every 3 days and checked everyday to see if theres a rat dead in it.

i made a trap from ply wood, a old wire coat hanger, a heav dutey spring and loads of scaple blades glue gunned on the end, a rat comes in to get the bait, he stands on the sea sorse, hehe goes forword and the blades come down with masive forse!!! caching! u have your rat head/half rat sometimes :ohmy:, and the bait stayed untuched.

fatcat1955

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 19:23 »
Dog bisquits are supposed to be one of the best baits.

joshbuchan

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 19:39 »
i use chicken pellet as its what they are used to, i have now raised the feeders of the floor.

but yeah my dad said small dog bisquits are one of the best as chochlet aswell. he used to be a exsterminater so he knows a thing or 2 about killing rats lol :tongue2:

titch

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 20:10 »
I think traps is the way to go then!! Not sure about the choc though! Dog biccies will have to do. I guess that way I can fling the carcass in the hedge where it will serve a purpose, thanks for the trap tips

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 20:24 »
I use fen traps to catch rats, they don't get away from them.

But if your going to use them they do need to be in a tunnel or somewhere out of the way where they can't be get at by Children Dog cats etc.

There's a few very good articles in the hen house about rats  ;)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

xx
Rats

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 13:27
by NICK.STONE
xx
RAts

Started by Ramsbury Allotments on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 27, 2012, 17:28
by dugless
xx
Rats and veg

Started by dan808 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2013, 21:53
by sunshineband
xx
Rats

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 21:21
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 29 queries.