cold chooks

• 11 Replies

too many girls

cold chooks
« on: December 18, 2009, 23:15 »
i know there's been a lot of threads around regarding people being worried about their hens freezing in this current cold snap, i was one of the first to post that hens have their own duvets, however..................Raffles never made it to bed last night (being a white silkie she would be difficult to spot in the snow) she was found in a sorry state outside the banty house at 6am, she was frozen to the bone, we brought her in ( my bedroom :)) to warm her up (my electric blanket and some reddy brek) and she soon recovered (phew) and was returned to the garden gang mid afternoon, that was when i noticed Emma (silver laced poland) shivering, she was all fluffed up and shaking from head to foot, Emma hadn't stayed out all night in the blizzards and there was no reason why she should be cold, but she was, we gave her the same treatment as Raffles and thankfully she went to bed with the other polands (and a few ducklings) tonight, it's made me wonder, maybe they do feel the cold.............i'll be keeping a sharp eye on my chooks as we're forecast more snow and it's blithering cold outside.

lucylou

• Experienced Member
Re: cold chooks
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 23:58 »
hope your girls are ok tmg. it was howling a gale here last night - i got up a couple of times coz i thought i heard something by my girls - but it was just the icy wind ??? not quite so bad tonite though.

too many girls

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 00:04 »
i did extra checks on my chooks tonight, everyone is in bed snug and warm, all accounted for, wish i could say the same for my finger tips...................... :happy:

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 01:07 »
I noticed one of my girls shivering today. Three others had already gone to bed (2pm!) so I tucked her in inbetween and gave all of them some corn from my hand. When I went to check on them at 4pm they had all gone to bed and she was toasty warm again. I dont think theres a problem when snuggled together, just when out during the day for some of them with lighter feathering  :(

I hope Raffles and Emma are okay and keep themselves snug tomorrow  :)

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 01:35 »
I think generally the longer established native breeds handle this sort of weather better than some of the the more showy introductions so you will need to look out for them a little more.
Hope this spell doesn't last too long.  We all like a fresh fall of snow but it gets a bit unwelcome when it hangs about.
HF
Truth through science.

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 01:37 »
I'm a bit concerned for my orps today. Found all three in the corner of the garden, cold and wet! They hadnt snuggled, gone into their coop, and from lack of footprints in the snow, doesnt look like they went to the food or water either :( Just sat under a dripping bush all day while I was at work. Snuggled them into bed 4pm, and will give them some warm mash in the morning :happy:
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

dizzylizzie

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 05:49 »
Hi rom, i brought my poland in yesterday. We havent had snow, its just freezing cold, but she didnt look like she was doing so well.I put her in the coop a few times, then found her in the corner of the run,hunched over and cold, so i thought maybe she thinks im putting her to bed, so i put straw into a large plantpot, and sat her in that in a wind free corner with some warm mash, but half an hour later shes back, huddled in a corner. Ive checked her over , just in case there is something else, but her crop feels like it should, ive seen her drinking, her chest is clear, eyes and nose is clear, no discharge from anywhere and no crawlies. She is too young to lay, so i hope it is just the cold. anyway, she slept in a cat basket in my room, which,as we have no central heating , is still bummin freezing, just not as cold as outside :D she is awake now, and ive given her some left over porridge that i made andy and joe before they wnt to work. she has scoffed it down, but she still dosent look 'right' .I agree with HF...i dont they are as hardy as the ex-batts...well as any of my bigger chucks cos my little barnevelder, who is younger than her is thriving, dispite being a late hatch!She is running around all over the place , jumping on the big girls when they are trying to have a nap :lol:

too many girls

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 09:30 »
i haven't got enough plant pots :)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 10:06 »
i haven't got enough plant pots :)

dont worry , she seems to want to be in the bedroom anyay ;) :lol:

too many girls

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 10:08 »
what? no leccy blanket? shame on you :tongue2:

ehs284

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 13:08 »
Mine are completely foxed by the falling snow. They can get out and have a cover so they stand in a row looking at it like children gazing out of a window. Gave them warm wet layers with aditives this morning and have put in a plastic bowl with a fish tank heater in it (set to 16C) so they have warm water.

too many girls

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 13:17 »
yesterday it was just snow, today Kate's runner ducks favourite drinking puddle was frozen solid, it was hilarious watching them trying to drink from it, it took them an age to realise they weren't getting anything and they'd have to come up to the stables for a drink :D :D :D

xx
Cold chooks-how to keep them warm?

Started by chickpea87 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 06, 2008, 14:21
by compostqueen
xx
Chooks or 'Not fair' chooks ??

Started by Mega on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 20:55
by Bantymad
xx
Hen With A Cold

Started by skyblue on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 01, 2007, 23:27
by Aunt Sally
xx
Cold hen

Started by nicchick on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post March 29, 2009, 20:33
by nicchick

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 29 queries.