Hatching eggs

• 11 Replies

chuckie.egg

Hatching eggs
« on: October 01, 2009, 14:13 »
Can anyone recomend where to get some silver laced wyandottle hatching eggs from?

I've looked at the poultry pages, and there's none near me in county durham, but there is further afield.  I just wondered if anyone can recommend one?

We have brown hens at the mo, and I like the look of these wyandottles.

Also, what are silver laced wyandottles like for laying?

Roughlee Handled

Re: Hatching eggs
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 14:50 »
have a look here for for breed info
http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/dual.html
Last in the list.

I can not help you with breeders but I would suggest you DO NOT get them from ebay.
Your doing the right thing asking for a recommended breeder.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 16:47 »
have a look here for for breed info
http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/dual.html
Last in the list.

I can not help you with breeders but I would suggest you DO NOT get them from ebay.
Your doing the right thing asking for a recommended breeder.
Why do you say do not get them from eBay, I buy and sell eggs on eBay mostly with good results, obviously you are better off collecting, but when you are after a certain breed this is not always possible.
If you have an eBay account, search under 'Hatching eggs', 'distance nearest'

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

poppies

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 17:06 »
I bought some chamoise poland eggs from ebay they came from the Orkney islands, and I had 6/6 hatch, bought some eggs from someone local and had 0/6 hatch, there are good and bad on ebay

I have a pair of silver laced wyandottes and she is a really good little layer, try to get a good look at the parent birds as sometimes the lacing is not as it should be

too many girls

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 17:09 »
i think what Ruffle means is that buying from e-bay you don't know what your getting, have no comeback against the seller and have no idea of any diseases that may come from contaminated eggs, some diseases can be passed on through chicks hatched from infected eggs, is it worth the risk?

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 17:16 »
You'll probably have better luck looking in the spring if it's anything like ducks. Many more people advertising a better range a this really in't the best time to be hatching eggs.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

chuckie.egg

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 17:34 »
Thanks for all your input.

I do know ebay sell eggs, but had heard a couple of bad stories so was put off by that... I'm sure there are good sellers on ebay though.

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 20:16 »
Personally I would never buy eggs from ebay. I like to know the breeder they came from and be able to check out the parent stock for health and vigour (no disrespect Michelle! :)

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 21:50 »
Personally I would never buy eggs from ebay. I like to know the breeder they came from and be able to check out the parent stock for health and vigour (no disrespect Michelle! :)
None Taken  :D
I put loads of pictures of my parent stock and also of chicks I have hatched, I answer all questions asked (no matter how silly  :wacko: ) I even guarentee my eggs if less than 50% fertile if through the post or 100% if collected.
When buying off eBay you do have to be careful, checking feedback, not every one leaves the results, but if they have enough feedback a quick skim through for follow up is advisable, I very rearly buy off new sellers, (unless they are very cheap  ;) ) I have nearly 900 feedback, 100% with just selling eggs, even some of the sellers that are not 100% are good, just check what negative feedback has been left, you have to do a bit of checking.
This time of year though there are less eggs and the fertility is not so good  :(

Michelle xx

Foxy

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 21:56 »
hmmmm am sorely tempted Michelle! :D :D

Casey76

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 12:38 »
[not every one leaves the results

I've seen some selleers specifically request not to leave feedback about hatch rates / fertility.  they only want feedback on packagins and speed of delivery!

I know fertility cannot be guaranteed to be 100%, but still it would influence me if one seller had good feedback with good hatch rates, and another with only good feedback on packaging!

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 13:29 »
I think feedback should be left on receipt, buyers can always leave a follow up feedback on the hatch rate/fertility, as sellers can not be responsible if they make a mistake incubating.
When I buy eggs I leave feedback on receipt of eggs, then follow up on fertility.

Michelle xx

xx
Where to buy eggs for hatching from ?

Started by richyrich7 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 02, 2007, 23:39
by muntjac
xx
Hatching eggs

Started by DS1 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 23, 2010, 22:12
by Nails
xx
Looking for hatching eggs

Started by Brad26 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 22:31
by Brad26
xx
Hatching eggs

Started by vickyb30 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 16:53
by vickyb30

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 29 queries.