After 2 weeks the hens are still not friends

• 3 Replies

Oliveview

« on: March 07, 2008, 22:53 »
Hubby had to stand guard so the new hens could eat yesterday :(  At night they all go into the roosting bit, but the new hens huddle together on top of the nesting boxes. I´ve tried putting them onto the roosting ´poles´ they appear to stay there, but the next night they are back to huddling together.  When we got new hens before it was only a couple of days until they were all friends.  The older hens are about a year (2) and the other 3 are about 9 months old, maybe a bit less.  The new ones (5)  are point of lay.  Colin has been making friends with them at last, he was sitting amongst them yesterday under the geranium plant (that they are gradually demolishing- it was about 3 foot tall!) But make friends with the older ones?????  It seems to be the older ones that make the trouble.  
Hens! :?
Pamela

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 23:27 »
Mmmmm, that's weird!!!

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 10:11 »
If you can, put some mesh down middle of run, or make a temp run next to other hens.  They will hopefully get used to each other without being able to damage each other.  Keep them like this iuntil you feel the problem has been resolved.  I've done this a number of times in the past when run area was limited.  I now have a very large freerange area where there is plenty of room to escape so don;t need to any more.

Have you got more than one feeding and drinking point for them?  I find even 2 is not enough for lower pecking order birds sometimes and put lots of smaller feeders/drinkers dotted around run area.

good luck!

Oliveview

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 12:00 »
They have the run of the garden, well half of it, about half the size of a footie pitch I guess. Neighbour had told me that I only needed one food/water point, I´ll put in another one, give that a try.  
Pamela

xx
New Hens - Do I really have to keep them in or 2 weeks?

Started by gsc on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 15:09
by gsc
xx
New hens not laying but its been 6 weeks!

Started by litefunky1 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 07, 2010, 14:40
by evie2
xx
Newbie, had hens 3 weeks, advice please

Started by sirius951 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 14, 2014, 19:18
by Sassy
question
New to hens... 5 weeks in and some very dodgy droppings. Any help welcomed!

Started by bob-the-chick on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post March 26, 2009, 21:53
by Vember

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 31 queries.