Ceramic Bladed Knives

• 21 Replies

Swing Swang

Re: Ceramic Bladed Knives
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 13:08 »
Sabbatier Lion Brand 10" and 6" still going strong after 25years of daily use. Did have a similar boning knife that snapped in half whilst I was washing it after two years and they refused deal nicely with me though so all is not rosy in the carbon steel jungle.

I do have a ceramic steel (oxymoron?) to keep them sharp which is the mutt's nuts.

SS

madcat

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 13:10 »
From the same offer, I got a ceramic potato peeler which is quite good.  

I have a japanese peeler that is excellent, peels fine enought to be a zester if used with a light hand, but the handle is wearing fast and my mother is using a broken peeler because she can't find an good replacement.  They are all plastic wrapped in the shop and when you get them home (well, you cant walk in with a potato and demand they take the packaging off, can you? ::)) they have thick, dull blades that take half the carrot with the skin  >:(.  Thin sharp blades seem impossible to find - but this one from Aldi, while not the greatest, is better than the ones we have found and tried from the shops.  
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 16:08 »
My steel knives never seem to keep their edge very long, and if I use a steel or stone to sharpen them it never seems to do a lot of good. I do have a range of different qualities of steel knife and I have this problem with all of them.

I do have one ceramic knife and I like it a lot. I did manage to break a little bit off the very tip when I used it to open a jar I couldn't open (and yes, it serves me right, they do warn you not to do that but I didn't listen), but I've had it quite a while now, use it more than any other knife and haven't noticed any loss of edge so far.

mobilekat

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 20:06 »
One thing people forget its that good knives will over time destroy the steel, so you end up replacing it.
I have 2 Sabatiers and they are my pride and joy, and are kept nice and sharp- I loath blunt knives and want to always be able to slice a tomato cleanly!

I am working towards a longer knife though, could do with a 'carving knife' then my life will be complete!

Ah knives, spent time in a knife shop when on holiday, but thought Easy-Jet may object to me bringing  one home!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 20:13 »
There's no problem bringing knives home in your hold luggage.

mobilekat

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 08:29 »
Thats true, but I was going through the main train station in Barcelona,where they like to X-ray your bags.
Didnt think they would approve!

thecakebaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2011, 22:58 »
I have a full set of Japanese knives that cost over a £1000. I use them every day for everything I have even use one of them to cut wallpaper when I couldn’t find my craft knife.

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 28 queries.