• 3 Replies

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
Kiwi Fruit (var. Jenny)
« on: October 25, 2012, 22:03 »
Hi all, 

I have a kiwi fruit which has flowered and fruited for the first time this year.  This was after I threatened to dig it out in early spring as I was sick of the sight of it not producing anything!!   :)

It is covered in fruit which are about the size of a quail's egg.  Bearing in mind that we are likely to get a frost in the next couple of days, I was going to throw some fleece over it to protect the fruit.  I have picked the largest of the fruit and put them in a bowl indoors, but the fruit aren't huge at all.

Anyone have any idea if this is typical for UK grown Jenny kiwi fruit?

Thanks
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

SG6

Re: Kiwi Fruit (var. Jenny)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 10:34 »
A quick read round keeps says hens egg size, and as most of that is in places that sell the plant I would expect the fruit to be a little smaller. Nobody plays down the fuit size, only up.

Quails egg size does seem a bit too small, I will agree. With the odd weather we have had perhaps to be expected this year.

The plant is vigerous and may need manure+mulch around the base, not in contact in case of rotting.

Ground it seems needs to be, not chalky, not heavy, not wet. not dry. So it seems is not a plant to drop in a hole and forget, wonder if yours needs a little attention for a better size crop next year.

Everything says the crop is abundant, that also tends to mean lots of smaller fruit, those roots can only deliver so much to the plant. Not sure on the size of yours.

Fleecing it sounds reasonable however the fruit crop is Sept to Oct, so I doubt they will get much larger if left on for say another 3-4 weeks. The plant will be shutting down for it's Christmas break soon.

Perhaps it just needs a bit more time to establish, a feed of manure and a mulch, perhaps a slight reuction in fruit numbers and better weather next year.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 16:18 »
The plant should be OK, it is planted in a raised bed which gets fed at least once a year with rotted down chicken bedding.  In fact, I am reconfiguring my garden next spring, so plan to relocate it, so will need to give it a trim to do so.  It has been planted in the garden for about 7 years.  It did little in years one and two but has steadily grown since.  I am wondering if I should have reduced the number of fruits in each cluster - as you do for grapes?  Ah well, there is always next year!

SG6

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 17:34 »
When replying I was thinking if the Kiwi had been in more then about 2 maybe 3 years it should be reasonably established. So much said would mot be applicable.

Other then the odd weather and the possibility of thinning not much I can suggest. Have not read of anything saying thinning is required - mine perished some years back after a bad frost.

Several articals say Jenny is a prolific bearer but none mention thinning, so unsure.

xx
Kiwi Jenny

Started by Nige2Plots on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 12, 2011, 18:00
by Nige2Plots
xx
Kiwi 'Jenny'

Started by jonewer on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 17, 2014, 18:18
by Yorkie
xx
Does anyone have a Jenny kiwi that fruits?

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 15, 2016, 13:27
by sunshineband
xx
Kiwi (var. Jenny) how big do they grow?

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 22, 2012, 14:50
by Casey76

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 29 queries.