Blight

• 6 Replies

Odders

Blight
« on: July 28, 2023, 15:46 »
Cleator Moor, Cumbria.
Maincrop (Desiree) were fine on Tuesday but this afternoon around 10% of the plants had the dreaded brown lesions on the leaves & definite yellowing.
I've just nipped home for secateurs & a cuppa, then off back down to cut the tops off.
Pity really, as I was hoping for another 2-3 weeks at least but the incessant damp weather has finished that  off.

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
Re: Blight
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2023, 09:03 »
Thanks for that, Odders, very useful to know where it has got to.  I'm looking at mine every day, secateurs at the ready.
Just a thought - have you had very heavy rain, interspersed with bright sun? Just look on the backs of the leaves & make sure you have a faint white halo of mould round the damaged bits. It's just possible you have physical damage to the leaves, not blight. (If you're not sure I'd get in & chop it, better to be safe!)
Windy.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2023, 15:29 »
The conditions here in London are right for blight: rain, interspersed with spells of sunshine, and humid air. And so it begins ….

Odders

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2023, 01:20 »
Thanks for that, Odders, very useful to know where it has got to.  I'm looking at mine every day, secateurs at the ready.
Just a thought - have you had very heavy rain, interspersed with bright sun? Just look on the backs of the leaves & make sure you have a faint white halo of mould round the damaged bits. It's just possible you have physical damage to the leaves, not blight. (If you're not sure I'd get in & chop it, better to be safe!)
Windy.

Not in the 48 hours between them looking fine & then the obvious brown lesions.
Had insanely heavy rain a couple of weeks back & no damage.
Tops now in the big compost bay, mixed with grass clippings & shredded cardboard & already at 45°C so the spores will be killed by tomorrow.
I've around 10kg of the spuds indoors on cardboard here at home to keep an eye on - the rest can stay buried for a couple of weeks.

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2023, 14:33 »
Saturday I pruned all the leaves of my early main crop (Orla) as they had signs of it but had also started dying back.
Today it was on the main crop (Blue Danube) so they got a haircut.
A couple of unripe Tomatoes also had it.

On the plus side the Runner beans and Courgettes are loving this weather

I dug up 3/4 of a row of Orla this morning and got a pretty decent crop with no sign of blight  :nowink:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 10:59 by Enfield Glen »

Debz

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2023, 12:52 »
We've had it on our sight since the 10th of July.  Warm and wet constantly made a right mess of the potatoes.  Unfortunately, it's now in my polytunnel and the tomatoes are falling foul too.

Odders

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2023, 23:02 »
We've had it on our sight since the 10th of July.  Warm and wet constantly made a right mess of the potatoes.  Unfortunately, it's now in my polytunnel and the tomatoes are falling foul too.

Worried about my polytunnel tomatoes too but the brown spots on the leaves are crispy with no yellow edges - think it might be burn from condensation & sunlight.
Cut off what I could find in any case but no sign of rot on fruit, ripe or unripe.
Tomatoes in the greenhouse at home are fine, as are the last two tubs of charlotte - just going over now, so they'll go in the garage, minus tops, to provide next year's seed.

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
B B B B..... Blight

Started by mobilekat on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2012, 16:14
by arugula
xx
Blight

Started by 8doubles on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 31, 2020, 12:21
by Growster...
xx
Blight

Started by Allotment Jon on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 12:27
by Allotment Jon

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 35 queries.