Blight
« on: August 26, 2020, 10:24 »
Poor old toms have had it !

Too much muggy weather , not enough sun and dry !  :(

juvenal

• Experienced Member
Re: Blight
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 12:29 »
I have a row of Roma tomato plants laden with fruit.
Parallel to them, and a yard away I have a row of Crimson Crush plants.
Roma have been slaughtered completely by blight.
Crimson Crush are virtually unaffected.

I should have known better, and only Crimson Crush and Crimson Cocktail grow on my allotment in future.

Pic attached of a tomato after a heavy night  on the Tomorite cocktails...
DSCN4740.JPG

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 13:17 »
juvenal, I've seen a few people who look similar to your tomato, after a heavy night on cocktails.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 14:56 »
That's rotten luck, 8, I'm so sorry you've had all that.

We've had warnings almost daily here, so you must have been swamped by the hour!

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 15:20 »
Just got back from the allotment and I have the early signs too.  Cant complain to much as I have had a really good crop this year. cut my loses and harvested 2 buckets of green Toms and cut the rest down,

Eric44

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 15:46 »
My crop of Sungold fell foul but the Honey Moon in the same bed are still growing well. Mountain Magic, which I grew last year are also blight resistant.

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 22:59 »
That's rotten luck, 8, I'm so sorry you've had all that.

We've had warnings almost daily here, so you must have been swamped by the hour!

I suppose i cannot really complain as it is the first time i've been seriously blighted out this century !
Some of the old favourites will have to make way for more resistant varieties next year.

wolveryeti

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 20:18 »
I lost all of my allotment toms this year, but it has been a learning experience.

I think where I went wrong was firstly in imagining that lots of leafy growth was a good thing regardless of location and secondly agreeing to accommodate my wife's desires to plant out all of her (very numerous) plants. End result was a very crowded bushy and sprawling raised bed - blight heaven.

Next year I will mainly grow resistant varieties and tomatillos (which I note have not been touched this year). For the few non-resistant varieties I grow, I will make sure to prune back growth around 1ft from the ground and give adequate space!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 11:27 »
I have got 3 blight resistant toms growing on the plot.  I have seen small patches of blight on the fruits of the Ferline and the foliage on these is yellowing, but not blighted.

The Crimson Crush and Crimson Blush are untouched and there are other blighted tomatoes on the allotment site.

My greenhouse toms are not blight resistant types at all, but so far all are ok.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 11:39 by New shoot »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 12:21 »
Funnily enough where my plot is - at the top end, my Crimson Crush remain blight-free, but my friend's (also Crimson Crush) at the bottom of the hill, have had to be binned.
I can only assume that the wind blew the worst of the spores downhill and his got a really good dose of them, really sad as they were absolutely covered with nearly ripe toms :(

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 12:24 »
Funnily enough where my plot is - at the top end, my Crimson Crush remain blight-free, but my friend's (also Crimson Crush) at the bottom of the hill, have had to be binned.
I can only assume that the wind blew the worst of the spores downhill and his got a really good dose of them, really sad as they were absolutely covered with nearly ripe toms :(

Oh that is a shame  :(

8doubles

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 15:20 »
Could be a drainage thing ?
If the plants are in the good environment  they must be in a better state to fight infection ?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 16:11 »
Could be a drainage thing ?
If the plants are in the good environment  they must be in a better state to fight infection ?
That's difficult to answer because up 'til blight struck his plants looked much healthier than mine, which were suffering because the ground on my plot is so very dry (even though they got watered most days) whereas his rarely needed watering even when it was over 30'.
Who knows?  :wacko:
I thought about wind blown spores, because on the bottom plots potatoes often get frosted when ours at the top are ok..
These things are all a bit hit and miss aren't they?

missmoneypenny

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 20:20 »
@Juvenal that is one naughty Crimson Crush. What happens on the lottie stays on the lottie!
My Romas were the blight Trojan horses last year. Ferline was unaffected. I rate ferline, they look like your standard supermarket Tom but are real troupers and actually taste good.

sunnywillow

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2020, 12:42 »
Had some blight on the Ailsa Craig - managed to strip the leaves and affected fruit apart from this guy!
Looks as though he had a good dosing of super phosphate :unsure:
IMG_6312.JPG

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
*******ing blight

Started by Alex 98 on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post September 10, 2008, 21:08
by OpenSourceAgriculture
xx
Another one on blight...

Started by Chris929 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 28, 2020, 20:03
by Chris929
xx
is it blight?

Started by Eightball on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 14, 2014, 17:35
by Beetroot Queen

Page created in 0.793 seconds with 53 queries.