skatenchips

any asian herb growers out there..???
« on: April 12, 2011, 09:25 »
I wanted to grow .................

Galangal
Turmeric
Lemon Grass
any other asian herb roots

from seed or tubers and wondered if anybody out there has had any success or failures.??

I live Nr Heathrow so get reasonable summer heat(famous last words) in the south
but there doesnt appear to be too much in the way of the written word on how you might go about attempting it or if its worth trying.

Cheers

Gazza

compostqueen

Re: any asian herb growers out there..???
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 12:35 »
I failed with oca but I'd give it another go

Lemon grass grew easily from seed and I managed to harvest quite a few thin stems, which were great, but the plant died overwintering in the greenhouse. I would definitely give those another go but keep them in the greenhouse and only move them outdoors on still days as the wind blows them to a right old tangle  :)

Coriander, fenugreek grow easily from seed each year.  Not done cumin or turmeric though - yet  :)

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 19:59 »
Hi,

One here  :happy: ! never grown tumeric but i think  tumeric grows like a root like ginger and needs to chit. once it does then it will grow. chitting may take a quite while and need similar conditions to potato but you may need a lot of heat. Not sure where you can get tumeric root from. harvesting it i would only assume when it grows flowers and dies down then dig it up. you can try the asian grocery stores and see if they sell the actual root.

Medically its very good, natural strong antibiotic and cancer fighter. effective as part of a daily diet.

PG

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 20:35 »
galangal is a tuber like ginger, so if you can find some in an Asian shop you'd be able to try :)

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 21:56 »
if you can't find it locally

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Indian-Food-White-Turmeric.html

I have to question the point of tring to grow such as low value item though other than for kicks  :D

skatenchips

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 16:38 »
spot on lardman.....ive already noticed from walking around the 38 lottys that each and everybody seemes to want to grow "tried and trusted" feed the family veggies and I say....good on you....BUT ,,I want a bit of experimentation just for the hell of it....and as I cook
in the house for the mrs I wanted to try and grow(UK weather allowing( summit different....yer yer I can buy it for tuppence ...but thats just it....I dont wanna buy it.

I wanna grow it,albeit in small quantities just for the fun of it....further more were going to Cyprus again this year  and im going to see if there are any local veggies from that sunny region that might like to grow in our "soso" climate.

your right folks living nr Heathrow im gonna have to make a raid on southall or Hounslow that have a mammoth Asain community and see if any of their stores have any goodies.

Yes...compost queen my Okra failed as well but im going to try again in the GH.

anyway,cheers for the replies.

Gazza

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 17:09 »
now I am caucasian but I grow asian herbs, rather than being a herb grower who is asian....so hope I can help :)

lemon grass - dead easy, works best in greenhouse though but did fine outdoors last year

ginger - easy; potted in large greenhouse pot, with a bit of a chit upward in the compost and simply left it to do its thing...but watered well

coriander - great outside, planted a few scatterings of seeds at a time  BUT it goes to see easily - hence the sowing little and often approach

galangal - similar growing to ginger.

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 11:42 »
I've got some chop suey greens to give a go this year!

I normally grow coriander.

MiklovesHerb(s)

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 15:03 »
I'm trying coriander, chilli, pak chox and growing lemongrass from a lemongrass form the supermarket!

anyother suggestions or tips?

is there a type of coriander that is good for the UK!

xx
Asian Pears

Started by always_mowing on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2007, 09:30
by coatesi
xx
Asian Pear Trees

Started by Greengirl on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 08, 2008, 12:48
by Greengirl
xx
nashi/asian pears

Started by fugit on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 09, 2015, 12:54
by AnnieB
xx
Asian ladybirds spoiling our plums?

Started by Mrs Potts on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 02:00
by Endymion

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 30 queries.