I've got an allotment...woohoo!

• 29 Replies

Parsnip

« on: November 08, 2008, 12:48 »
Yep, plot 70a is mine, all mine... :D

I've just been up to the site and paid my £5 membership and £7.00 for half a years rent for a half plot ( I can't believe how cheap it is).

It's a great set up actually I'm really pleased, they are in the process of finishing clearing my plot from brambles and then they will rotovate it for me too..it's a reclaimed plot that got overgrown.

They've got a little shop on the site and you can hire strimmers and the like, just paying for the petrol you use. A local farmer delivers manure for £ 15.00 a load.

I can't wait to get stuck in, I've started my list for santa already, I've got a fork and a spade, and wellie boots ,what else should I add to my list? :wink:

Shed
Hoe
Camping kettle

I've taken some photos I'll have them on a bit later..

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 13:35 »
Sounds great Parsnip!
I wish my site had a shop, we dont even have loos!
Very cheap too...
Looking foward to the pics  :D
Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

gimli

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 13:43 »
awww loos mine allotments could really do with these.
yours sounds great
and a very good price
gimli

Ygerna

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 13:56 »
Fabulous News! Exciting isn't it? Have you got much work to do on it before you can get going?

Good luck!

Parsnip

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 15:33 »
I didn't  even think to ask about loos, but it's in the village that I live in, so I can nip home..

It will take a bit of prep I suspect even after it's rotovated, my dad used to have an allotment so I'll take him up to cast an eye over it, tell me what I need to do.

To be honest ,even if it had been covered in forest I'd have taken it.. :oops:  :lol:  Just waiting for OH to come home so he can post the photo's for me - I'm hopeless at that sort of thing.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 16:16 »
8)  Parsnip sounds great  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Parsnip

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 16:21 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"

I'm going to take a trip to Wilko's next week, see what bargains I can pick up :wink:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 16:30 »
Quote from: "Parsnip"
Quote from: "richyrich7"

I'm going to take a trip to Wilko's next week, see what bargains I can pick up :wink:

All spring flower bulbs are half price at the mo' plus other stuff

Brian_of_Bozeat

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 11:03 »
Great news Parsnip,

Cleared and rotovated too! You lucky thing, that should get you off to a flying start. I have lots of digging to do but at the moment it's far too wet here to get on the ground :-(

Anyway, bet your dad will advise you well but let me say It's not too late to get some Garlic and onion sets in - Broad Beans too if you want an early early crop.

best of luck to you.
If only we could teach the Slugs to only eat the Weeds, and then the Pigeons to only eat the Slugs!

woodburner

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 11:50 »
Congratulations :) Enjoy! :D

I'd add a bucket/big trug/barrow, a dibber or trowel and a ball of string/long tape measure to the list. ;)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

janatherton

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 12:08 »
Nice one Parsnip, Sounds like you've got nice little plot there - my first year too and mine plot doesnt even have water, but I see this as a challenge!!  I've planted in November; very early peas, two types of broad beans, 2 types of garlic, red and white onions, shallots, and my new rhubarb crowns have just gone in, expecting some raspberry canes and 2 gooseberry bushes any day now...

For your Christmas list if you havent got it you should put down a copy of John Harrisons book available on this site (www.allotment-garden.org/book/index.php). I read this from cover to cover and its one I keep dipping into to check things.  Its a bit like having your dad there.

Also get yourself on the seed supplier websites and start working out when things need to be planted, size, layout and harvesting.  You'll end up with a big list of plants and seeds you want.

I have a Christmas list that includes national garden gift vouchers so I can go shopping for my plants, seeds, tools and supplies after Christmas (www.thevouchergarden.co.uk) they can be used in many local independant garden centres as well as national chains.

Good luck with it :D

Parsnip

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 13:07 »
Thanks for all the good advice, tips and good wishes everyone, what a cracking bunch you are :thumleft:

rhian13

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 20:12 »
good luck with your new plot :lol:
I've just got a plot too.......after outgrowing my garden!! (I live in a terraced house and the whole front and back garden is a vegetable and herb patch)

I have been planning my crop rotation (and am wondering if I'll run out of space)....yes to garlic and onion sets, maybe think about seed potatoes for delivery in january?

As for tools - I'd love a scythe for Christmas

p.s. your site sounds wonderful

:)

peabody

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 20:29 »
great parsnip, but do we really need loos and shops on an allotment site? :shock:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 21:17 »
I wish we had a toilet on our site - if I'm there for more than a couple of hours, I have to load everything back in the car and go home, then return.  I don't have a shed or any cover on my plot to do the necessary  :oops:

As for a shop - our association shop sells compost, canes, fleece, seed spuds, fertilisers, lots more, and lots of free advice.  And a wheelbarrow to borrow to get the heavier things to the plot.  Also we have some hand tools such as a post rammer or scythe which can be borrowed by members.

Saves people money both by being competitively priced, and avoiding car journeys to the big warehouses for the basics.

It's not an Asda replacement type of shop  :roll:  :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Woohoo! I've got an allotment!

Started by foxi loxi on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 21:16
by ANHBUC
xx
woohoo got a Lotty

Started by witchwoopiggy on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 07, 2011, 14:41
by witchwoopiggy
grin
Woohoo! One Orange Pepper (only about 30 left to go!)

Started by Lottie Mary on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 14, 2010, 14:16
by Lottie Mary
xx
woohoo! Just aquired loads of slabs!

Started by Noah'strolly on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 10, 2008, 22:22
by Noah'strolly

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 28 queries.