Real Seeds - Seed Saving

• 9 Replies

adri123

• Experienced Member
Real Seeds - Seed Saving
« on: December 20, 2013, 12:22 »
Hi

I'd like to have a go at growing varieties of veg that you can save seed from.  Looking at Real Seeds website I'm wondering if they stock all the varieties that can be seed saved.  Tomatoes for example seem a bit limited.

Am I right in saying that if it's not F1 then it can be saved?

TIA

Adri

Nobbie

Re: Real Seeds - Seed Saving
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 12:58 »
Yes, to a degree. F1 seed will not produce true to type in the second generation, but other seed should as long as it only gets fertilised by the same variety. Some plants such as squash and pumpkins get cross fertilised really easily and unless growing in a very large patch are likely to produce variable results. I think things such as peas and beans are much more reliable.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 13:56 »
If you're growing on an allotment and the variety can cross pollinate, you need to isolate the flowers as per Real Seeds instructions (other instructions are available  ;)). I use organza drawstring bags made for wedding favours because they are cheap and I can't be faffed with sewing myself.

As Nobbie says, F1 seed won't breed true, but while it's not advised for some things, for others it's not always a bad thing. I've had some fab chillies from the F1 Chenzos I saved seed from. They aren't Chenzos, but they are very tasty!

3759allen

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 17:00 »
no help to the question but personally with the price and availability of professionally developed seeds i don't see much of a gain in keeping your own seeds.

Headgardener22

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 18:01 »
Not quite sure what your question is.

In theory, anything that doesn't cross can be grown from your own seed (so French Beans are OK but - in my experience - Runner Beans aren't).

Tomatoes (in theory) don't cross easily but if you're looking for other varieties of tomatoes, there are lots of other places on the web where you can get tomato seeds.

I've saved seeds from about 30 different varieties of tomatoes this year and my plan is to grow the original seeds and my saved seeds side by side next year to see if they've grown true.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 18:10 »
Varieties that are not f1 are called openpollinated varieties on many sites.

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 18:47 »
I bought a load of seed from Real Seeds with the plan to save the seed BUT after reading the instructions and how far apart things need to be, it was more hassle than it was worth (for me anyway). So this year I'm just buying based on what I want to go rather than whether it's not F1.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 00:06 »
I bought a load of seed from Real Seeds with the plan to save the seed BUT after reading the instructions and how far apart things need to be, it was more hassle than it was worth (for me anyway). So this year I'm just buying based on what I want to go rather than whether it's not F1.

If you bag the flowers you don't have to isolate by distance.

Headgardener22

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 07:12 »
Varieties that are not f1 are called openpollinated varieties on many sites.

There appears to be a convention that Heritage (or heirloom to our American friends) seeds are ones that have been grown for 50 years or more. If its less than that, they are open pollinated. An example of a "well known" open pollinated variety is Green Zebra which was only developed in 1983 but is commonly available and not an F1.

LilacSandy

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 10:51 »
The advantage of keeping your own seed is that over time the plants will be suited to your growing environment, most seeds are not grown in this country just imported and packed here.  I replant my garlic cloves and keep seeds from my best tomato and chilli plants, and this year I have saved broad bean and runner bean seeds.  All my french beans are from saved seeds.  Would never bother with carrot, parsnip etc.,

xx
Real seed collection

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 31, 2012, 20:01
by Goldfinger
thumbup
saving your own seeds

Started by barley on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 20, 2014, 20:34
by barley
xx
saving seeds

Started by greenchaos on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 20, 2008, 19:26
by greenchaos
xx
Saving Seeds

Started by jennyb on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 24, 2006, 07:13
by hayles62

Page created in 0.388 seconds with 36 queries.