new allotment

• 22 Replies

sharonamelia

new allotment
« on: June 10, 2008, 20:26 »
Help - advice most welcome

I have just taken on an allotment - not worked for around a year - so a lot of work to do.  It is approx the size as a tennis court.  We have strimmed down the weeds and grass etc., a few brambles to cut lower but need to know the next step.

I plan to have raised beds; paths and a shed and poly tunnel (eventually)  and have a box full of seed from the Real Seed Co.  Should I rotavate and then cover ground with weed suppressor or cover ground then rotavate?  I realise that rotavating is no panecea as Joe Swift reminds us on Gardeners World).   Perhaps there are more viable options than the ones I've stated here.

Looking forward to reading the advice.

Yours shazwah
shazwah

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
new allotment
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 23:20 »
First of all welcome. secondly, ignore everything Joe Swift tells you, its surprising that after the short time he has had it it is weed free and looking top notch, in real life unless he was on there every minute of the day it would have weeds on. Now rant over, check out Johns section on clearing a plot, there is loads of good info on there, I would say if you want to be a little lazy then dig over to get rid of any weed roots, lay the membrane and fill with clean top soil in raised beds, this is the modern way, myself I prefer one big bed, there is a number of advantages, one being more ground to grow and another is you will constantly be digging up weeds where as the raised system has paths where things like horsetail, red shank and a few other nasty weeds will quite happily sit under. Many ppl will use the raised bed system to great success, its upto you but just make sure you dig as much root up as poss at the start. I know its horrible but if you can clear as much this year to plant next year on a clear plot then I would do that every year, you can always grown crops in pots and growbags this year.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

lincspoacher

new allotment
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 00:56 »
link to johns section  plz ?

iwantanallotment

new allotment
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 01:12 »
http://www.allotment-garden.org/index.php

You'll find the 'clearing' info under "Allotment Articles" in the left-hand menu  :wink:

Oh and welcome shazwah, good luck with your new plot  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
new allotment
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 06:35 »
Welcome from me too.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

kezlou

new allotment
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 00:31 »
Good luck with your new plot, that link on a previous post is really good i was looking on it earlier.

Best of luck
 :D
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

growmore

• http://www.braa.co.uk
new allotment
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 00:36 »
Welcome from me too. Just enjoy it - its fabulous, however you choose to lay out your plot

Mamooska

new allotment
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 10:42 »
Hi I'm a newbie too (hoping to get my allotment next week!)

If I get the plot, it's already had the 'tractor' in so the ground is clear and has been turned over (though I'm sure there's loads of nasty weeds lurching underneath!)

As I'm doing the allotment with my eleven year old daughter I want to get things growing ASAP so she doesn't get bored of the idea (it's my plan to spend most of the summer hol' down there with her).

I've already got some leaks and onions ready to go in, can you all suggest other veg etc that I can plant from seed? And is it really too late for 'taties??

Thanks everyone (and good luck with yours sharonamelia!  :lol: )
Forever happy playing in the mud!

Pompey Spud

new allotment
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 11:07 »
Hi. Good to have you on board. Where are you from?

If you can find some 'Earlies' potato seeds, they'll be best as they have a shorter cropping time. However, they don't like cold + blight might be a problem later in the season. Depends where you are with regards to the growing season.

Leeks/Onions ok. Sow some Cabbage in pots and plant out next month.

Lettuce would be good. Suttons do one that crops in about 3 weeks.

Get some photos of your plot on here as well.

Good luck.

PUP!
Top tip for camping....don't go.

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
new allotment
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 11:13 »
Quote from: "Pompey Spud"
Hi. Good to have you on board. Where are you from?

If you can find some 'Earlies' potato seeds, they'll be best as they have a shorter cropping time. However, they don't like cold + blight might be a problem later in the season. Depends where you are with regards to the growing season.

Leeks/Onions ok. Sow some Cabbage in pots and plant out next month.

Lettuce would be good. Suttons do one that crops in about 3 weeks.

Get some photos of your plot on here as well.

Good luck.

PUP!

Off topic but I was at the cup final too... BIL has club wembley seats and he had a spare on the day
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

GreenDavie

new allotment
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 13:00 »
Hi

I was in  your situation in April. I sprayed the whole plot with round-up, which kills the weeds and roots but not the soil, make sure you buy the concentrate and mix with water in a big spray bottle dont use the ready mixed spray its weeker.

Leave it for a couple of weeks then i had it ploughed by a farmer and rotovated it myself with an industrial rotovator which i hired from jewson.

three months on and i'm flying with very little weeds

Regards
Wee, sleekit, cowrin, tim'rous beastie,
O, what a panic's in thy breastie!

Mamooska

new allotment
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 09:19 »
Hi  :lol:  and thanks for the advice!

I'm in Peterborough, so not the 'hot' south but the weather here is okay. I'm hoping that as the seasons have shifted a bit that what used to be harvested by September, I'll be able to get away with October.

Lettuces are a bit of a waste of time in my house (I'm the only one that eats salad without complaining!)

I'm reluctant to start planting etc just in case my allotment doesn't come up (the person who currently has it hasn't used it and the chap that looks after the site has issued a ten day notice - obviously I am hoping that it's going to become mine!) However I have found a farm shop that has some runners, pumpkins and tom plants so the minute I get word I'm off to get those!

Being new to this; if you allow potatoes to shoot aren't they seed???? Sorry if that was a really stupid assumption but a girl needs to know these things! :oops:  

Will endeavour to get some pic's once I get the go ahead on the plot!  :lol:

GreenDavie

new allotment
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 09:43 »
yes they are "seed" and they will grow but you cant guarantee they are virus/disease free. Thats why wee buy "proper"seed pots cause they have been grown specifically for the purpose of growing and are guaranteed free of probs........well almost guaranteed

Regards  :D

Mamooska

new allotment
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 10:31 »
Thanks; I thought all this stuff would be quite simple and straight forward.... Oh what a lot I have to learn   :?  :shock:

GreenDavie

new allotment
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 11:14 »
I knew very very little when i took over my allotment in April and its amazing in that short space what i've learned.............you'll get there

Regards   :D

xx
new allotment

Started by tommyboy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 22:50
by Porffor
xx
My allotment

Started by durham_lass on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 01, 2007, 10:18
by sweet nasturtium
xx
We Got an Allotment!

Started by Matthew Gayles on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 05, 2011, 21:58
by Nikkithefoot
xx
New allotment help please

Started by Debbiem on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 01, 2010, 20:48
by Ice

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 38 queries.