when is the next opportunity to plant out potatoes?

• 21 Replies

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 22:34 »
eermmm  I'll be thinking of your PEAS and drooling!!

(sorry mrs DD  :oops:  :lol: )

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 22:37 »
I'll be picking them blindfolded.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gobs

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 23:01 »
Quote from: "peapod"
Quote from: "DD."
You've spoken to the wrong ones then!

There's absolutely no reason why a spud from other sources should not grow. A spud is a spud. The risk of passing on diseases is very low.

You'd only do it once though.

Still confused!!
Why DD, is it a taste thing?
Paula

Seed pots come certified as disease free. Shop bought ones aren't meant to be sown and so not checked for this. You can - on the extreme - even collect Colorado beetle with them. You won't often for surely know, where they came from or what variety they were.

On another plus side the seed potato varieties on offer well surpass what you can buy, shapes, uses, sizes, colours, flavours, seasons, disease resistance code and ranking, climate suitability... no comparison.

Above all, it is not illegal as yet, but very irresponsible to sow supie spuds, IMHO.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 23:04 »
Thanks DD and gobs, I know you are both right

I will follow my first instinct and get seed pots, (now ive just got to persuade OH thats its worth spending the money!)

Paula

gobs

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 23:17 »
I bought the bulk of mine for £2.50 for 2kg from the lottie shop. -  And some fancy extras for indulgance. :oops:  - I haven't bought potatoes for long, so don't know, but I'd wonder if it's much cheaper in the shops even without talking organic.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 23:18 »
I planted Maris Peer last year in around late july, early august because they were marketed as a Christmas potato.   I thought that by saying they were a Christmas cropper that we'd be having freshly dug up new spuds on our Christmas dinner!

we got our first autumn frost in october (the 10th I think it was) and because I wasn't expecting it I didn't cover the haulms with fleece, so the whole lot died off, leaving some very under developed spuds behind  :? and, after all that, the maris peers were nothing to write home about anyways  :roll:  they were bland and nowt special so I felt they were a waste of time personally.

This year I'm just going to grow my usual early and maincrops and store them....

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 06:43 »
Quote from: "gobs"
I bought the bulk of mine for £2.50 for 2kg from the lottie shop. -  And some fancy extras for indulgance. :oops:  - I haven't bought potatoes for long, so don't know, but I'd wonder if it's much cheaper in the shops even without talking organic.

Our local nursery's price is £1 a kilo - on a par with Wilco's.

However the nursery has nearly 90 varieties to chose from. It's no wonder I go " :shock: " when I see the price in some catalogues - even before postage!

xx
Waterlogging - An Opportunity?

Started by all0tment on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 13:23
by savbo
xx
Garlic - missed opportunity?

Started by Number 7 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 04, 2013, 17:17
by Number 7
xx
Wow! what an opportunity!! (smallholding for rent)

Started by SnooziSuzi on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 08, 2009, 21:43
by mikem
xx
What can I plant after potatoes ......

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 04, 2011, 19:57
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.434 seconds with 36 queries.