Scaly leg mite?

• 11 Replies

Lucy G

Scaly leg mite?
« on: January 31, 2011, 13:13 »
Hello
My first post and I'm hoping someone can advise. My favourite old hen has quite bad scaly leg mite (I think) - she has gone lame in one leg which has a big lump on it. She is 6 and I don't want to put her down as she is still eating and drinking.
Is there a 'spot on' style treatment for the mites?
I have just three hens, one of the others looks a bit like she is getting scaly legs as well.
I bought some spray over the counter but it doesn't seem strong enough.
Don't have a vet in Norwich which will deal with her - plus worried they will want to put her down....
any thoughts?
many thanks
Lucy

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
Re: Scaly leg mite?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 13:27 »
Go on the internet and google ivermectin...... p and t poultry used to sell it.... probably still do.

Even if your vet said pts they cant make you ..... they can only advise :)  Its also unlikely they would as it is their ethic to mend not murder unless its in the creatures best interest :)
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 13:31 »
Hi and welcome Lucy,
you can put vaseline on which will cause the mites to suffocate and die, put it on at night so it won't get covered in mud, and do this it for 2 -3 weeks
Regards Pol
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

katey

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 20:10 »
Hi,
I've had the same problem.
Check out my posts and replies.Don't worry,there aren't many cos i'm new.

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 20:30 »
I am ashamed to say that my flock is quite badly affected. I tried the vaseline treatment which wasn't much help. But I have invested in some Camrosa ointment. It's pricey but is very effective. It is just a barrier ointment so quite safe to use. My girls are quickly getting smart legs again.

Benzoin ointment was the best treatment ever but you can't buy it now - new regulations :( If you know anyone who has horses they might still have some benzoin ointment to hand - it is fab against sweetitch and all sorts of mite infestations.
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 21:49 »
From what I've read most books suggest using a petrolium jelly (such as vaselline) and lightly covering the legs to suffocate the mites. Failing that, as mentioned there are other treatments.

Casey76

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 06:54 »
A spot on treatment, such as Advantage, or Frontline (for kittens) is a systemic anti parasitic, and will save you the fuss of applying vaseline to the legs.

Please note, that even when the mites are dead the scales will remain raised, and will not be replaced with new ones until the bird next moults.

If the scales look "crusty" this is from the faeces of the mites, and can be removed by standing the bird in warm water, and gently using a toothbrush to scrub away the encrustations.

:)

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 11:32 »
I'm not on commission -  honestly I'm not! but the Camrosa ointment is very effective at softening and removing the old raised scales and nasty crusty stuff. I also use the warm water bath and old toothbrush method once the camrosa has started its work.

Do many people use the kitten Frontline stuff on their hens? I like the idea of a systemic as presumably it will kill any bitey bugs that get on the birds? Any advice welcome.

didsomeonesayellie

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 11:38 »
My chickens have the same problem. We've put vaseline on their legs, even the ones that don't look very infected, however I've noticed that one of my hybrids - the worst affected one - has a cluster of black dots around her eye. Could this be the mites aswell? And how do I treat it?
Thankyou :)
4 true hybrids - Chekhov, Snaffle and Lulu.
1 Nera - Olivia
1 Amber - Daisy
1 Speckledy - Winona
1 Goldline - Sigourney
1 obese cat - Sheba

Colernehens

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 14:11 »
Hi, one of our chickens is currently being treated for this, when we realised she had it, it was a saturday late afternoon, so no time to get anything. However we were advised to spray the legs with WD40 and then smother with vaseline. We did this and repeated the Vaseline only every other day for the next 5 days or so and the difference was astonishing.

We now have some scaly leg spray and are treating the other birds about once a month as a precaution, but they are all getting regular vaseline treatment still.

bantam novice

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 19:39 »
I've read posts from several people who have used frontline (for kittens) on their hens and it has been very successful. 

A vet will not prescribe it without you signing a form as it is not officially for poultry.

If you  type Frontline in the search box in the top right-hand corner you will find all sorts of info about it.

Good luck  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 11:15 »
We cleared up scaly legs really quickly with vaseline slathered on very generously every other night for a week or so - picked them out of the coop one at a time and popped them back in so their sticky legs didn't get too covered in mud or bedding. 

Not only did it kill off the mite, it softened and loosened the sticky-out scales so they came right off & the girls looked as though they were wearing pink stockings!

Worth treating all of them, though, and scrubbing out coop (the weather's better for that now) and sloshing everything with DE slurry (see Hillfooter's various posts for his recipe)
ManicMum

xx
Scaly leg mite

Started by evie2 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 21, 2011, 19:14
by nerdle
xx
scaly leg mite

Started by danmegal on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 21:20
by danmegal
xx
Scaly leg mite.

Started by mtoyne on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 27, 2008, 14:22
by Aunt Sally
xx
scaly leg mite

Started by jennie hennie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2012, 21:30
by grinling

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 29 queries.