poultry problem

• 3 Replies

xx bluey xx

poultry problem
« on: May 14, 2007, 14:03 »
I have recently filled my octagon 20 incubator with some hen eggs, i have space for roughly 4 more, but i also have a broody hen who i thought was siting on a clutch of 8 eggs! well last time i checked then 5 days into the incubation, i thought i would check under this hen and to my suprize found 22 eggs, ( she is a partridge cochin so large fluffy fowl) i paniced and decided the best thing to do was to candle them and discard of any that i thiught were infertile or had only just started to grow, she now has 12 under her.
Today i went and checked here and found that 1 of the eggs had hatched and the chick was healthy, but i am worried about these other eggs under her as she may stop sitting before they hatchas obviously she went broody on her clutch of 8 and the remaining eggs may need a couple more days to hatch as they apeared later. and i have no more room in my incubator.

I would be really grateful if anyone could give me some advice on this sort of situation
thankyou Laura .

alan42

• Experienced Member
poultry problem
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 14:24 »
in all were talking about ten days then that your hen has been broody if i read you right, well to have a chick hatch in that short time is imposible she must have sat for at least 19 days. she will wait for a few more days yet for the remaining eggs to hatch.
good luck
alan

xx bluey xx

poultry problem
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 14:26 »
sorry i must not of explained it right but it works out that she has been sat roughly 20 days!

The Chicken Lady

poultry problem
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 18:25 »
She will proberbly sit for another 24 - 48 hours then get off and leave the rest. This happened to me. If you can put any after another 24 hours in the incuabator or under another broody with no eggs you have a better chance. Although if your adding to the incubator the humidity may not be high enough required for hatching :?

xx
Poultry Spice, Poultry Zest, Garlic, Apple Vinegar, Verm-X, Liquid Tonic etcc

Started by OpiumEater on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 09:28
by Kenilworth
xx
Poultry ark

Started by Fluff on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 20:04
by Andy J
xx
The joy of poultry

Started by kizza on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 19, 2006, 11:42
by Huswyf
xx
poultry spice

Started by mercury on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 12, 2007, 23:07
by muntjac

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 30 queries.