Peppers and chillis

• 11 Replies

Shelle

Peppers and chillis
« on: April 07, 2007, 21:40 »
I have some seedlings that I am growing on my kitchen window sill.  As it s my first time, I am unsure as to when I should pot on, and when they can go outside.

At present, they are in a seed tray with 2 - 3 plants in each part (possibly called cell??).  They are around 1 - 2 inch tall.  Should I now be transplanting them to a bigger pot (one in each), but still leave indoors?

At what point do they go outside and what size pot as I am container growing rather than planting in the ground.

Thanks.

noshed

Peppers and chillis
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 21:50 »
Possibly let them grow on a bit but when you plant them put them in quite deeply - deeper than they're growing now.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

agapanthus

Peppers and chillis
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 21:58 »
Don't put them outside until all fear of frosts is past. They'll need a fairly large pot probably a 10 or 12". Keep them in a nice sunny spot, lots of food and water and you should get a good crop :)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: Peppers and chillis
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 22:01 »
Quote from: "Shelle"

At what point do they go outside and what size pot as I am container growing rather than planting in the ground.

After your last frosts usually about late may but you could risk it before and just either bring them in or cover with "newspaper hats" if a frost is forcast,better if you could bring em in tho'.

Pot size, I would have thought the larger the better about tomato pot size 10" off the top of my head, add some water retaining crystals if you can.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Peppers and chillis
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 07:37 »
can they go in an unheated greenhouse yet? As the blasted cat keeps ripping mine out and I don't want to kill the cat, but he is doing my head in..

Annie

Peppers and chillis
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 09:00 »
If you`ve got more than 1 to a cell then I would separate and repot those as later if is easier to damage the roots.I generally pot mine on when the root ball on the cell looks a good size.I usually end up with my chillies and in 8" pots and peppers in 10" (any smaller and they fall over when the peppers grow),I`m not an expert but it works for me.
You could put the pots in an unheated greenhouse but I would bring them in at night and put the cat in the greenhouse.

Shelle

Peppers and chillis
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 10:48 »
Great idea Annie to put the cat in the greenhouse  :D

Thanks for your suggestions.  Think I will have a look to see if those that are more than 1 to a cell need to upgrade to a slightly bigger pot, then wait to pot on to their final bigger pots.

Gardening Mark

• Experienced Member
Peppers and chillis
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 14:05 »
Shelle, if they are 2 inches high now I would wait for around another 2-3 weeks before putting them into larger pots, but plant them deeper so they can take the weight of the produce. I am also going to try to grow peppers this year, in the same way.. Hope yours taste as good as I hope mine do lol...

Boothy

• Experienced Member
Peppers and chillis
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 17:44 »
When you refer to pot sizes in inches , is that the diameter or height of the pot?  Please bear with me if I ask daft questions, I'm a bit of a novice
Total beginner - please bear with me if I ask daft questions!!

ruffmesiter_69

Peppers and chillis
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 17:58 »
pot them into 4 - 6 inch pots once they have got the 2nd set of true leaves.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Peppers and chillis
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 20:42 »
Quote from: "Boothy"
When you refer to pot sizes in inches , is that the diameter or height of the pot?  Please bear with me if I ask daft questions, I'm a bit of a novice

Diameter and it's not a daft Q, no such thing, mind you you can get plenty of daft answers  :lol:

mulletsrokk

Peppers and chillis
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 22:49 »
One thing to remember from what I can gather, chillies and peppers can cross pollinate. So if you are after hot-hot-hot chillies, keep them away from the peppers or you may be disappointed.

I'm growing some Francisca Habineros at the moment, so I hope they wont be cross pollinated!  :twisted:

xx
Peppers or chillis

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 12, 2009, 10:18
by abraidwood
xx
What to do with my peppers and chillis

Started by funkydelia on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 20:02
by Kristen
xx
Peppers and chillis

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 11:51
by Nikkithefoot
xx
Chillis and peppers?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 13:00
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 32 queries.