Asparagus seedlings..

• 4 Replies

PAH48

• Experienced Member
Asparagus seedlings..
« on: June 21, 2009, 18:13 »
Found a packet a couple of months back, whilst ferridging though me seed box..
waste not want not attitude bunged them all into a half tray, even though they were way outta date..
outcome being I've now twenty or so plantlets about 3-4 inch high...
question is should I leave 'em be or plant 'em on into 3" pots ?
Either way should I put them into a cold frame, to harden off...till planting out time..

Got them this far unexpected bonus ect...would hate to loose them now, especially as
I've started a 1metre square bed for them...even got an old window that will
cover them easilly...

cheers  PAH...

Trillium

Re: Asparagus seedlings..
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 23:34 »
Until your bed is ready, pot them up for now. But a metre square isn't big enough for 20 plants. They need at least a half square metre each because the mature roots are so huge. In a pinch you could plant 5 (one in the centre). Increase your bed size if possible as they're worth the effort when you taste your first homegrown ones. Truly wonderful compared to shop bought.

Brambles

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 23:57 »
After growing 3 crowns for 3 years and LOVING the results...  I planted 20 X 1year old asparagus crowns this year... all survived really well... I gave them the advised amount of room that the growers suggested which was to plant them in a trench 8 inches deep and 12 inches wide -  each crown to be 16 inches apart..... each trench to be 18 inches apart....  That is quite a bit of space, but they can give good harvests for up to 20 years and sometimes more!   Do not harvest any for the first year but let them go to seed, cutting them back in the autumn (November) when they have turned brown.
Sorry if you already know all this... but it might be useful if you don't already know :unsure:

PAH48

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 08:37 »
Cheers..Tillium and Brambles..for the answers....much appreciated...

Did realise could only plant a max of 5 in the area allocated...it was the potting on or not so to speak..wasn't to sure about..
All I've read on the subject, seems to presume your buying crowns, 2/3yr olds...

Hopefully the overgrown area on my second plot...approx 10' x 20'...currently full of raspberry bushes, inherited, I will be able to designate yet another area for them.
However until such time.....1 metre sq. will have to suffice....if I have to will pass the remaining onto other plotters...
once again thanks for your replies.....PAH

Kristen

• K's Garden blog

xx
Asparagus seedlings

Started by Deborah1 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 21, 2018, 16:51
by JayG
xx
asparagus seedlings

Started by lucywil on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2008, 13:07
by lucywil
xx
Asparagus seedlings

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 09, 2009, 10:08
by Kristen
xx
Asparagus seedlings

Started by fatcat1955 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 02, 2012, 07:02
by fatcat1955

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 33 queries.