Fleece or debris netting

• 6 Replies

wendyg

Fleece or debris netting
« on: May 15, 2012, 23:17 »
For the last two nights I have covered the strawberries and potatoes with fleece, to protect against frost.  As it is a bit breezy here (this will die down and with clear skies we are predicted a ground frost) I find it difficult to lay down the fleece and stop it from flapping around.  I was wondering if a double layer of debris netting would protect the plants from frost.  Has anyone tries using debris netting instead of fleece?

Wendy
1 Chicken House Blue, 1 Pied Suffolk, 1 Sussex, 1 Copper Black, 1 Cocker Spaniel, 1 border terrier x min. bull terrier, 1 Cat and an allotment.

Dopey113

Re: Fleece or debris netting
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 00:04 »
peg it down, or bricks, stones, planks... whatever you can find, i even use bamboo canes
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 01:31 »
My guess is that fleece would be the better of the two - debris netting, having larger holes, would not give provide such a good barrier.

Bricks, hefty stones....that'll hold it fleece in place.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

allot2learn

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 07:26 »
Use the fleece, then put the debris netting over the top and peg it down. The netting won't tear in the wind.

RichardA

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 16:10 »
I often use several folds of debris netting to protect against frost -- works fine, lots of holes work like a wooly jumper does. I have much more netting than fleece at this time of year and easier to handle on my own. Weigh down with bricks, planks, whatever you have or fill milk or drink cartons/bottles with sand earth or water. Square edge ones obviously or they roll off. Can even fill plastic bags with earth and tie the necks in an emergency.
R

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 08:32 »
I often use several folds of debris netting to protect against frost -- works fine, lots of holes work like a wooly jumper does. I have much more netting than fleece at this time of year and easier to handle on my own. Weigh down with bricks, planks, whatever you have or fill milk or drink cartons/bottles with sand earth or water. Square edge ones obviously or they roll off. Can even fill plastic bags with earth and tie the necks in an emergency.
R

Take care with the weight of the debris netting... Do you support it or simply lay it straight onto the plants?

RichardA

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 16:31 »
depends on the plants - just emerging potatoes might get fleece etc directly on top of them otherwise might use either blue pipe hoops or plant pots or plant pots on sticks etc to hold up nets or fleece but don't want to be too off the ground or whole object is defeated-- all depends on how high, how robust etc.
R

xx
Fleece instead of debris netting?

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 12:28
by Elcie
xx
Debris netting or Ikea netting?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:51
by hightide
xx
debris netting

Started by withnail on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 15:41
by Jeanieblue
xx
Debris netting

Started by Elm street on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2014, 16:01
by Beetroot Queen

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 34 queries.