Buying dead seeds is common

• 16 Replies

Garden Gnome

« on: September 28, 2007, 08:08 »
but not popular here!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/09/28/nseeds128.xml

Oh dear. And I thought it was just the way I planted them...

It's a relief in a way that it's NOT always my techniques, but possibly the raw material itself that means stuff doesn't germinate.

I bought some onion seeds and bean seeds from the local garden centre at half price recently, and was delighted and rather surprised at how many came up, and how quickly they did: the brand was Italian, but not Franchi. It made me realise how often I've planted veg and seen very little happen.

I'm interested to see what experiences others have had with seed germination.

WG.

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 09:29 »
Mmmm ... so the testers reckon that they gave every single seed the ideal conditions do they?  Arrogant methinks.

Given that many plants will produce a percentage of seeds which are unviable, then I don't see how the seed companies can improve on that fundamental percentage.  I can see that poor handling / storage would worsen the situation though.

I think I'll continue to blame myself in the majority of cases.  Equally, I never blame my golf clubs when I hit a bad shot.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 16:05 »
Must admit to having a completely dud packet of sweet peas this year from wilko's and I think DD did too.

Also ties in with the response to my query to Johnsons seeds about old stock

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?p=93263#93263

Still I imagine that most of it comes down to poor storage conditions once it's left the supplier. Leave a packet on a windows sill for a week or two in full sun then I doubt much will survive the temperature fluctuations.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 16:21 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Must admit to having a completely dud packet of sweet peas this year from wilko's and I think DD did too.

YUP!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

jack russell

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 16:30 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
 Equally, I never blame my golf clubs when I hit a bad shot.

you dont blame your clubs :shock:  Well i do they are dodo!   I on the other hand would play well with a decent set of clubs :wink:

cheers

jr
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

sweet nasturtium

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 17:48 »
I do find it odd when you go to all the trouble of preparing soil, plant a whole row of seeds and nothing comes up.  And infuriating.  I think we should be able to claim compensation (no grow no fee).  :)

gobs

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 21:06 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Mmmm ... so the testers reckon that they gave every single seed the ideal conditions do they?  Arrogant methinks.

I think I'll continue to blame myself in the majority of cases.  Equally, I never blame my golf clubs when I hit a bad shot.

But than you are just that sort of a guy with high standards, and then guess what, I started saving my own seeds two years ago or so, and saving more and more types as time goes on(once a business gets going...)and always get a much better germination rate on them, then on bought ones( I always sow them side by side at the same time, not trusting mine being any use).
And that's me being a lousy cook, which I am, they are rarely even stored properly, they are just fresh :wink:  :wink:  :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 22:11 »
Quote from: "gobs"

But than you are just that sort of a guy with high standards, and then guess what, I started saving my own seeds two years ago or so, and saving more and more types as time goes on(once a business gets going...)and always get a much better germination rate on them, then on bought ones( I always sow them side by side at the same time, not trusting mine being any use).
And that's me being a lousy cook, which I am, they are rarely even stored properly, they are just fresh :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

What sort of seed do you save? Things like beans & peas are easy, when it comes to carrots, parsnips etc, it's a different matter, you have to leave the crop in the ground for an extra year, thus taking up valuable space. You have to ask yourself whether it worth that, or shall I go & spend £1.50 or whatever on a packet of seed.

gobs

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 22:28 »
A few parsleys, carrots and etc. areNOT taking up much space. And I enjoy it. so far.... :D  :D  :D

puravida

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 08:50 »
Ha - it is on BBC news right now!
Suspect it will be repeated during the day.

'Seeds gardeners collect in their own gardens usually much better than seeds you buy'
Good beer, good BBQ and good friends.

mushroom

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 08:53 »
i'm watching it as well.  :)

shouldn't seeds ideally be kept in the dry at 4C  :?:

gobs

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 09:06 »
Something like that :wink:  :wink:

gobs

Re: Buying dead seeds is common
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 09:51 »
Quote from: "Garden Gnome"
but not popular here!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/09/28/nseeds128.xml

Oh dear. And I thought it was just the way I planted them...

It's a relief in a way that it's NOT always my techniques, but possibly the raw material itself that means stuff doesn't germinate.

I bought some onion seeds and bean seeds from the local garden centre at half price recently, and was delighted and rather surprised at how many came up, and how quickly they did: the brand was Italian, but not Franchi. It made me realise how often I've planted veg and seen very little happen.

I'm interested to see what experiences others have had with seed germination.

I decided a few years ago, that spring onions just hated me, so I'm not growing any. And then all that news! Anyhow, I'm happy just with onions now.

Garden Gnome

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 12:33 »
Yes, it has been spring onions and carrots that have defeated me consistently. That's why I was SO pleased at the Italian brand's apparently complete success in coming up! Mind you, the resident mole then came up, too, right in the middle.

Twice.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

muntjac

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 12:36 »
Quote from: "Garden Gnome"
Yes, it has been spring onions and carrots that have defeated me consistently. That's why I was SO pleased at the Italian brand's apparently complete success in coming up! Mind you, the resident mole then came up, too, right in the middle.

Twice.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

try my carrot tips on muntys tips  gnome mate
still alive /............

xx
Buying Seeds Now?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2015, 16:07
by New shoot
xx
Buying your seeds?

Started by bobbyt on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 28, 2024, 06:07
by bobbyt
xx
buying seeds etc

Started by beansticks on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 25, 2007, 19:18
by philmay
xx
buying seeds

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 21, 2019, 19:25
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 33 queries.