fencing

• 5 Replies

gcb

fencing
« on: March 17, 2009, 23:28 »
Hi all new to the site. Receiving my first birds, ark and run next week but it is also time to hopefully plant some veg in the garden, which I have done for several years. I want to fence off my veg plot leaving the chickens (3) free to wander around the rest of the garden when let out of their run. Any recommendations on type of fencing required and height needed to deter them from entering the veg patch? Most of the garden has fencing about 5ft high - will this be high enough I understand some can be flighty. If any did escape would you recommend clipping the wings?
geoff

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
Re: fencing
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 23:35 »
If they can't fly (by clipping wing) you won't need such a high fence saving you money!  I kept my birds off with 4ft fence.  But when not clipped they will get out of a 5-6 fence if they have a mind to-believe me.  If they get in you won't have many vegies left.
mrs.ploppy

Vember

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 23:37 »
Hi Geoff

Welcome to the Hen House :)

Will they be free ranging all the time? The reason I ask is that a fox can clear a 5ft fence so you may need to add some more protection from them, evil things  >:(

Sarah :D

gcb

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 00:14 »
Thanks for the prompt replies. I only intend to allow them out of their 8ft run when I am in the garden watching them to start with, maybe for an hour or two. I want to try to assess whether they look like they are the kind that may want to escape.I would rather do this than just cut their wings straight away. Although I realise that once they had cleared the fence it would then be too late. If they were to clear the fence is it likely that they would stay pretty close to the garden so that I could round them up? I will measure up the fences tomorrow and add trellis or something to increase the height where I can. I have not heard of foxes being in the area. A woman down the street who also has hens never said foxes were a problem.
geoff

Vember

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 00:24 »
If you keep them in the run for a couple of days for them to get used to their new surroundings then they shouldn't stray to far :)

When you first get them put them in the coop for a couple of hours before letting them in the run, it helps them to know where to go at bedtime :)

Dried mealworms are an excellent bribe for getting them in :lol: Don't give them too many just enough to do the job, they'll jump through hoops to get at those things, and they'll soon recognise the rattle of the mealworm container :D

Sarah :)

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
  • Chhhhiiiiiiickens.......
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 21:08 »
Our chickens have a run but we like to let them out in the garden too. We have to section of a bit of the back garden or they would get into trouble so its canes a few metal posts and chicken wire (90cm high). We generally don't have any problems but they can get out if they want too. As we move it around its not that secure and our little boy is often moving a post/wire to get in and out. He is so good at catching the chickens.

Just a point to remember don't get the OH to put the chooks away the night before and then the next morning get them out put them in get to the last chook and then realise the OH left wire open so all chooks are roaming free.  :ohmy: Always check its secure if you go with a very basic option.

xx
Fencing...

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post January 27, 2008, 19:09
by new chooks
xx
Fencing

Started by Andy J on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 14, 2009, 19:13
by poultrygeist
xx
fencing

Started by suffolk chucks on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 26, 2010, 20:25
by janette
xx
Electric fencing

Started by North Devon Dumpling on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 21, 2009, 15:25
by Foxy

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 29 queries.