How will they cope when I am away?

• 12 Replies

gracie

• Experienced Member
How will they cope when I am away?
« on: July 05, 2011, 07:15 »
I go away in a few weeks but the shine is being taken off it as I am worried about my 4 girls.
I have offers to come in to check on them everyday so that isn't a problem. However when I first got them as week old chicks I had no idea they would free range as much as they do ( didn't think I would be confident enough), it has turned out whenever we are home they are out. We get so much joy from them. At the moment no eggs, hoping they will wait until sept, 2 are 13 weeks and 2 are 10 weeks old. As that's something new I have to learn about.
They have a large coop and nice run which is the correct size for them, they have shade, sun and a little assault course they often use, but how will they adjust to no free ranging for a fortnight. My friend has said she will let them out when she pops round but I am concerned they won't go back in for her if they have been shut up all day, meal worms may not be so enticing when there is a garden to explore.
Any comments from other free range keepers on what you do with yours will help this mother hen no end.

Oliveview

Re: How will they cope when I am away?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 08:52 »
Our hens ate out and about the gatden all day, but if ever we need to get them into the hen house they will quickly follow if they are given some form of a treat. I am sure your girls will be fine. Enjoy your holiday
Pamela

Sooz

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 09:36 »
When I want mine to go in, I shake the corn/mealworm container which alerts them.  Then they follow me like the Pied Piper of Hamlyn down the garden.  I finish by throwing the treat into the run and they quickly scuttle in.
If you haven't done so already, you have time to train them to know that the shake of the container is treat time.  That way your friend shouldn't have too much trouble getting them in.
My friend loves it when we go away - free eggs!!  The grass rake is handy for Rosie if she gets stubborn and won't go in though!   :D
I'm not young enough to know everything!

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 09:56 »
At present I have no problems getting them in, we have a yellow bowl and they come running as soon as they see it. They finish my sons cereal every morning so I can get them in to do the school run. I am just concerned that if they have only been out for 15 mins or so after being in the run all day they will be a bit more stubborn after only free ranging for a short while. Friends who dont have chickens tell me I am silly (maybe I am) as they have a wonderful life the rest of the year. I know their conditions in the run are more than suitable I think I am mainly worried about if they start pecking each other as we have very very little of that at present

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 10:33 »
You have to make sure that your friend knows what's required, eg food and water and locking up at night.  Are they protected from fox when free ranging?  If not, could they be confined to the run for the time you are away?

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 10:51 »
Never seen a fox but I don't leave them out even if I am just popping out for 20 mins too scared to risk it. I don't shut them in the coop in the summer as it is long enough for them to get away from draughts and the run is completely fox proof unless he gets wire cutters.
I guess I know they will be ok (can't help worrying about them) just wondered if there was anyone else out there who had free rangers that would then be shut up for a fortnight and interested to know how they react.
Thanks everyone for your responses, I should probably chill a bit as I have ensured all their basic needs are covered. Will just have to get cabbages hung up in succession to keep them a bit more entertained

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 11:32 »
they may sulk and go off lay a little bit but when you return and give them a few treats they will soon forget all about it  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 11:35 »
Mine sulk for a few days when i get back and are a pain to get in for a few days after a long confinment, but they soon realise they like meal worms more then holding a grudge!

Dont worry about it - at they age they are small too so will be fine, as long as they are fed and watered properly then it wont be an issue

Lewis

Edit:  While i was typing Joyfull basically said the same thing lol
I hate signatures but love irony

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 11:52 »
Thank you again I do feel a bit better. Can't believe how attached I am and how defensive when People say they are only chickens. When I get home I will post some up to date photos and post some chickens soon to be laying questions

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 15:30 »
Gracie you could try a trial few days before you go away to see how they react and it might acclimatise them a little.  If they react badly you will have time to find a solution.  Then your mind will be at rest and you can enjoy your holiday.

Hope all goes well. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 15:54 »
Do you know, I thought of that earlier so didn't let them out the hour I was home earlier but forgot to mention to my 8 year old son who just ran in the garden infront of me and let them out. Think I will do it a bit more as basically they are never locked in the run when we are walking about. You should see me creeping about sometimes when I nip home for 5 mins so I don't upset them. Writing this I am coming to realise that yes, I am that mad chicken woman.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 17:20 »
Let them see you are at home, even in the garden when they are shut in their run.  They should soon get used to not being let to roam free all of the time.   :)

Raven81

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 18:04 »
You have to make sure that your friend knows what's required, eg food and water and locking up at night.  Are they protected from fox when free ranging?  If not, could they be confined to the run for the time you are away?

If you haven't already, get your friend to come over and "do" their whole daily routine herself one day, therefore she can ask any questions she may have about where things are kept, how much to feed them, and how to get them back in if they do get out!!
I would say keep them in the run when you are away then you don't need to worry, they will cope. Its better to have them bored for a couple of weeks than for something to happen to them.  They are unlikely to get too bored anyway as long as they have plenty of toys etc.
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 30 queries.