Sick hen - constipated?

• 4 Replies

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
Sick hen - constipated?
« on: October 04, 2011, 10:36 »
One of my black rocks has been a bit lethargic over the weekend, I checked her yesterday and she looks ok, her comb is red and upright, no sign of lice etc and they are regularly worked. She is not eating or drinking, no sign of any blocked crop and I can't feel anything unusual. I sat with her for a couple of hours and in that time she didn't go to the loo and I haven't seen her go since, could she be constipated? They have pellets ad lib then a treat in afternoon usually seeds, fruit, or brown rice.

compostqueen

Re: Sick hen - constipated?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 10:48 »
If she'd been eating fruit you wouldn't think she'd be constipated.  I don't think I know of hens getting constipated but perhaps someone here will know for use.  If she's not eating and showing signs of being unwell you could take her to the vet.  It's been very hot so you'd expect her to be drinking

If she has pellets and then you're giving extra rice and seeds then it could be too much dry stuff. If she has pellets she doesn't really need seeds and rice.  Green veg would be a more advisable treat I'd suggest

I'm sure someone on here will come along shortly with a more comprehensive answer.  Keep your eye on her as they can go downhill quickly

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 11:09 »
Thank you, I am on a day off today so will be watching her, she is up and about with her sisters having a dig.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 22:07 »
... She is not eating or drinking, ...

Is this what you meant to say?  If she is lethargic and not eating or drinking then there is likely to be a problem.  Unfortunately if those are the only symptoms it will be very difficut to guess what is wrong!

Do they have plenty of fresh, cool water available at all times?

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 21:12 »
Hi, yes they have water daily, one is plain the other has either acv or tonic in it.  I have been watching her the last couple of days, she has eaten some sweetcorn but only about four kernels, this morning she ate a very small portion of grated cheese. She is no worse but no better and it's been over a week now. Rang vets they are not keen but said they will have a go at looking at her, not much confidence as a year ago they told me to have her put down and I nursed her back to health.  Wondering if it's just her time as she is about to turn five?

xx
constipated cockrel

Started by monty on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 29, 2006, 19:55
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Sick hen

Started by CarolJ on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 06, 2012, 20:51
by bygrace
xx
sick hen

Started by peterrjay on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 05, 2009, 14:48
by Vember
xx
Sick Hen??

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post February 26, 2008, 12:42
by Wildeone

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 28 queries.