Would a new coop help settle differences between old and new hens?

• 16 Replies

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
I have recently added two new hens to my other four hens. They free range in the day and are mostly OK except that the old ones will chase off the new ones a little when there is food about. But at night time one of the new ones is getting picked on and has had a bit of blood on her head first thing on a couple of mornings now. (I have gentian violet which I am spraying the wound with).
I am thinking of getting a new, larger coop anyway and I was wondering if the increased space and the fact that it was "neutral" territory might help them all settle down together.
Any thoughts?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
probably not as this is the normal pecking order. The only thing I do is get up earlier to stop anything like this happening - I have been known to open their pop holes up at 4 in the morning so that any of them can run out as soon as they wake (and it is light at 4 anyway this time of year  :)).
Staffies are softer than you think.

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
Yes this is the problem - its light so early!! I did think if the baby woke me at 4 (as he often does) then it would be a good time to get up and let them out, but somehow at 4am it doesn't SEEM like such a good time to get out of bed after all  ::)
I will try and let them out earlier though.
How long is "normal" for this sort of behaviour to continue?
Is there anything else I can do to help?

joyfull

this can last weeks and apart from letting them out as soon as they wake there isn't much you can do - it does get better believe me. Stay on hand with savlon etc and try the early let outs it does help honest  :)

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
OK well I'm happy if at least this is normal - thanks for the reassurance  ;)

Chrysalis

Thanks for posting about this.  We've just introduced four new girls to our remaining two.  It was a bit nasty at first so we've kept them separate and only yesterday put them together (after four weeks) for "supervised playtime".  No real problems so far, but still separate at night for a while.  We find a water spray useful if the oldies start bullying the newbies!  I'm sure, as Joyfull has said, it will get better with vigilance and time.  Don't fancy the 4am bit myself, either! :tongue2:
C

joyfull

it does work though - you can always find time to catch up on your sleep and you will have happier young chicks

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
I get woken up anyway several times every night - I will just have to start considering the chickens as additional babies who, like the human kind, also don't want me to sleep too long undisturbed!  :happy:

outercircle

We installed a light sensitive automatic door opener and now everyone can get or or lie in as they choose

Chrysalis

We installed a light sensitive automatic door opener and now everyone can get or or lie in as they choose
Coo-er!  That sounds good :blink:
Would a dog do just as well? ;)

outercircle

VSB automatic doors are fantastic - cost a few quid but mean a lie in for me and happy hens. There used to be a bit of argy bargy going on if they didn't get let out the minute it was light.

My husband has built a fox proof run (and probably rhino proof - he doesn't skimp on the DIY) which is just as well because they're up at 4am at the minute and I like my sleep.

It also means in the winter that they can be tucked up snugly in their house when I don't get back from work until way after dark. I can never resist having a little peep and hearing their happy sleepy noises though.

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
Well I managed to haul myself up at 5.15 his morning when I woke up and I let them out - they were looking a bit confused  :lol: But there was no trouble at all when I opened up and no pecking, everyone was still a bit dozy I think!
So it was a good tip - thanks! Will definitely try and keep t up.

binghamd

Is there plenty of room in the coop? Are the perches at different heights so that they fight for top position? I think 5:30 am is dedication. Do you think they were drowsy with sleep or shell shocked. Perhaps it was the dress code.
You can her the chat "Tut, tut, what is the world coming to, these keepers today can't even get dressed before letting us out. Next thing she'll be getting one of those contraptions and we'll have to put ourselves to bed and get up in the morning. She'll even want us to dig the garden. Well I ask you!"
Bit too much fermented grape

Hope things settle down.

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
 :lol:
The perches are the same height, although it is quite cosy in there. I'm currently looking into a larger coop so they should have more space soon.
I didn't manage quite such an early rise this morning - it was 6.15 but there was still no trouble and they all came out in a nice orderly fashion  ;)

joyfull

perhaps you have broken the routine now, however I would still keep it up for another week just in case  :)

xx
new chucks settle in

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 18, 2006, 12:11
by muntjac
xx
New coop, more hens!

Started by Neil_B on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 11, 2012, 23:11
by Neil_B
xx
How long for a broody to settle??

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 19:45
by bedifferent
xx
Leaving eggs to settle

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 12, 2008, 18:49
by Viv

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 33 queries.