Hints for finding a respectable breeder....

• 3 Replies

rosierose

Hints for finding a respectable breeder....
« on: June 10, 2011, 13:11 »
Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on what to look for when purchasing from a breeder.

We rescued a bantam and her chick 6 years ago, having never owned chickens before.  The chick developed into a handsome cockerel called Kev, and has been a delight to have around.  He would jump up on our laps and always want to be with us.  Sadly we found him with an injury on sunday, we rushed him to the vets but we lost him on Wednesday.

We will never be able to replace our Kev but we are looking for another pekin bantam cockerel for our Bev, and possibly another 2 or 3 hens.

Having read some of the advice on here already, I am very concerned about introducing new chooks to Bev.  We will quarantine any new arrivals for at least 2 weeks but should I only be looking for breeders that vaccinate?

We live on the Suffolk/Norfolk border.  If anyone could recommend a breeder, if allowed, then that would be great.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Lisa

bantam novice

Re: Hints for finding a respectable breeder....
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 15:36 »
Hello Rosierose,
Welcome to the forum :) .  We are a friendly bunch here and you'll get all sorts of advice.  If you go to the Poultry and Pets page (click at the top of this page) you can click on Poultry FAQs.  I think there is a list of suppliers there.  In the meantime good luck and keep us posted.  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 17:53 »
It might be worth having a chat with someone from the Peking Bantam Club of Great Britain. I'm sure they would be able to help you find a companion for your Bev. You might find that accessing a cockerel will be much easier than getting the girls as the cockerels are unfortunately not much goo to a breeder as he only really needs one or two. You might find that in the Autumn it may be a little easier to locate girls as breeders will then have had the chance to hatch and raise birds and make their selection for show birds and sell on the not such good quality girls.

Best wishes and try the link bellow.

http://www.pekinbantamclub.co.uk/

Orchardlady.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 18:03 »
I would advise visiting breeders in the area without buying that day.  You can talk to them, look at the stock and see what you feel about how the birds are kept.

I have visited various places where chickens are sold and have used observation and conversation to decide if I would have confidence buying there: are the birds in clean housing and do they look healthy? Does the owner seem to be passionate about his birds or his income? ........ would I buy a second hand car from this person?
ManicMum

xx
Tell Breeder Or Not?

Started by iwantanallotment on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 28, 2009, 09:39
by Sassy
xx
Checking Breeder Out?

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 00:33
by cluckingnuts
xx
New to chooks - looking for breeder in West Yorkshire?

Started by Foghorn-Leghorn on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 08:32
by Sassy
xx
finding ex batts

Started by nic n dave on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 06, 2012, 18:57
by 4chooks

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 29 queries.