new to chickens

• 17 Replies

fastmonkey85

Re: new to chickens
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 18:22 »
Hi
I have have new chickens auite recently and like you I'm new to keeping chickens. This place is where I gain all of what I know. The people on here are very friendly and they all know their stuff. I have three hybrid browns and one light sussex. They get on fine and don't seem to bother each other although the light sussex is the boss and I think she knows it.

Once you get an egg from your hens you will think why did I not get them sooner. They are a magical pet to have and I am currently hoping to have soom more on my allotment that I have just been given.

Hope you get on well

Alex

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 19:51 »

this is what I use. 4L water (has adjustable height feet/legs, and 3Kg feeder (has an adjustable 'scratch stop' sort of grid, and can hang it up to chooks head height, then loop it higher at night away from rats.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHICKEN-DRINKER-FEEDER-incubating-hatching-poultry_W0QQitemZ380155780695QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry?hash=item58830cde57

I like the red ones too, and they are cheaper, but go brittle quickly, and so as they broke, i replaced them ALL with these green ones.
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

walker

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 00:32 »
:lol: Hi Walker
                 I've just put this on another thread but hope it may help you.
  I Have had my girls 8 off, between six & eight months (brought off grannie annie). I have two hanging feeders at head height in which I put layers pellets that already contain the grit. One half depth (to stop young chucks drowning) kitchen type plastic bowl (50p from local diy) sunk half it's depth into ground. Wood shavings (a couple of quid a lrg sack from local carpenter/joiner) on floor in coop and shredded paper (via family & friends + work) in nest box's. for hygiene I use Jeyes fluid spray type. For a treat I make up a mash once a week of old bread, cake, veggies etc (also contributed to by family & neighbours) blended then boiled & then simmered for 30 mins then kept in plastic containers in spare fridge in shed. Another treat is to hang half a cabbage approx 4-6 inches above head height for them to jump for (stops boredom & keeps them exercised and warm).

Hope this helps

Regards Steve

hi steve thanks for the info much appreciated ive just seen the other thread i will keep an eye on it for other start off tips.
One light Sussex , two bluebells, two white stars, two speckled stars , two cream legbars.

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
chickens

Started by linda white on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2011, 20:08
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 31 queries.