new to chickens

• 17 Replies

walker

new to chickens
« on: January 06, 2010, 20:08 »
hi everyone
ive just join the forum and think the poultry section is where i will spend most of my time as am just about to start keeping chickens and the allotment seems to be a while off yet.
I would like some advice on what the essentials for starting from scratch are.I have purchased a coop (still waiting for delivery).
what size feeder and drinker would i require for keeping 4 chickens?
Can i keep two different breeds together of will they fight (no cockerals just hens. iam in suburbia ). Iam thinking of two light sussex and either two rhode island reds,two new hampshire reds or two plymouth rocks.
any advice would be appreciated.
thanks mark.
One light Sussex , two bluebells, two white stars, two speckled stars , two cream legbars.

karlooben

Re: new to chickens
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 20:24 »
hi there and welcome to the forum can i just say once your here your here to stay   :lol: :lol: .

fisrtly well done on taking the plunge and getting some girls your'll be hooked in no time at all , well for feeding you can go get some proper feeders that u can leave filled right up and top up when need be these can hook onto a strong beam or inside a shelter via the roof or u can just get some large china dog bowls { i have kept my spare ones so i used them } also i use half cut guttering screwed to ethier the wall of the house or it can be built in a outside shelter { if u have one } they stop most the food from being scratted all over the place and  are so easy to keep clean .
pretty much anything will do for water i have one of those big blue dumbs sawn down to about 5 inches for my girls man water bowl in the run and although ppl say thhey dont need water in the house at night i always have a prupose made water trough in the house all the time { doesnt freeze so much in this weather if kept within the house } .

how big is the run u have for them ? will they have the chance of free ranging ? make sure the house an run is very secure agaisnt the fox .

please feel free to ask anyhting u want  :D

as for the breeds being mixed together they should be fine the light sussex lays wonderful white eggs and to me they seem to have a sweeter taste to them .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

doodoo

• dora myrtle and olivia
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 20:34 »
Hiya ive had my girls, three goldlines for nearly 9months now, and love them to pieces!! I also live in town house, they lay an egg each nearly every day and I wish i had got them years ago, you will get so much enjoyment from them.  I work full time so as soon as i get up its off to the hens, dressing gown, wellies no make up and usually a treat or two in my pocket, and thats when im at my happiest!! past caring that my neighbours think im barbaa out of the goodlife lol, we also have an allotment where we grow all our own veg, and the hens enjoy it too as they get all the goodies that are left over. Wishing you all the best  :)

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 20:40 »
Agree with Looby, light sussex would be a good breed to start with, I like plymouth Rocks too. Two breeds bought the same time and the same age should be OK.

Different breeds dont tend to fight, its just that some are more docile and therefore more susceptible to bullying.

Feeders/drinkers: I have bought a few of these recently and been impressed with them, you can hang them easily, carry them around and no bits of metal or springs to lose in the henhouse! I bought one of their drinkers and do like the nice robust handles :happy:

http://www.pandtpoultry.co.uk/product/categoryid/57/productid/1341

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 21:13 »
i need those  :lol: i am for ever dropping the water one and ending up getting one of the girls wet remind me next month foxy to add those to my list  :D.

walker be warned light sussex dont stay white for long  :tongue2: mine are digusting at the mo and dont resemble the colour white hehehehehehe actually 2 are white and green dont ask all i can say is they enjoy painting with me but dont worry the paint is harmless to animals.

walker

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 21:16 »
Thanks for your quick replies, to answer a couple of your questions the size of the coop is approx 7ft by 3ft with a raised roosting area. our back garden has 10ft conifur trees on all sides and iam going to secure the bottom of the trees with thick mesh to keep the sly old fox out,also thinking of buying a sheet of inch by inch steel mesh for the coop to sit on so the fox can,t dig under the coop and gain entry. thanks for the advice on the feeders and drinkers i was unsure what size to buy.
The choice of breeds has been determind by my two kids they both like the look of all breeds mentioned but they like the light sussex the best.

walker

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 21:20 »
i need those  :lol: i am for ever dropping the water one and ending up getting one of the girls wet remind me next month foxy to add those to my list  :D.

walker be warned light sussex dont stay white for long  :tongue2: mine are digusting at the mo and dont resemble the colour white hehehehehehe actually 2 are white and green dont ask all i can say is they enjoy painting with me but dont worry the paint is harmless to animals.

ha ha
I know what you mean the stables we take our daughter horse riding has light sussex and they always look dirty,obviously like rolling in the dirt.

karlooben

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 21:22 »
well from my expereince the light sussex are freindly little birds ,i first got 2 and then my mum was like ' ahh how sweet go get 2 more they mite be lonely at the shop ' so i got 2 more i think they were about 8 - 10 weks when i got them so they were tiny little white things that were very very cute .
very good idea about laying the floor of the run with wire , if need be u can add a very thick layer of woodbark in the run it will prevent the ground becoming all muddy an yukky and smelly . :D

Pumpkin-Kat

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 21:32 »
Hi Walker
  I'm a newbie too, and am getting my girls later this month.  :D I'm going for 4 hybrids for now, and will get some ex battery hens later in the year when the weather is warmer.
  We are converting an old playhouse. Lol just had a thought ... Playhouse to Layhouse  :D
Should have everything ready for the girls to arrival in a couple of weeks, and I am getting very excited. I am reading all I can, also find this site really useful, with all the pearls of wisdom from the experienced poultry people on here.
  Good luck with your girls  :happy:

walker

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 21:38 »
well from my expereince the light sussex are freindly little birds ,i first got 2 and then my mum was like ' ahh how sweet go get 2 more they mite be lonely at the shop ' so i got 2 more i think they were about 8 - 10 weks when i got them so they were tiny little white things that were very very cute .
very good idea about laying the floor of the run with wire , if need be u can add a very thick layer of woodbark in the run it will prevent the ground becoming all muddy an yukky and smelly . :D

Karlooben im also thinking of making removeable steel trays that cover the hole run floor for ease of cleaning should i use wood chippings to cover it or can i use saw dust.
also once i have secured  the underneath of the conifurs the chicks will have the run of the whole garden but only when we are home.

walker

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 21:42 »
Hi Walker
  I'm a newbie too, and am getting my girls later this month.  :D I'm going for 4 hybrids for now, and will get some ex battery hens later in the year when the weather is warmer.
  We are converting an old playhouse. Lol just had a thought ... Playhouse to Layhouse  :D
Should have everything ready for the girls to arrival in a couple of weeks, and I am getting very excited. I am reading all I can, also find this site really useful, with all the pearls of wisdom from the experienced poultry people on here.
  Good luck with your girls  :happy:

I also thought convert the kids play house but the wife and the kids wouldn't allow it so had to fork out for a new coop.
I know what you mean by getting excited about purchasing your first chicks i can't wait either everone think im losing the plot.

karlooben

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 17:25 »
for the run walker i would really suggest using woodbark { mite be free from a tree surgeon or there may be a small price } it really helps agaisnt mud , smell etc and the girls will love scratching about in it for the bugs , one rule though dont spread it around just pile it up all over the place the girls will spread it for you  :lol: :lol: .

webwahm

• Experienced Member
    • Allotment Diary - Kids Stuff
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 21:54 »
doodoo...

dressing gown, wellies no make up

aye, it gets you that way  :D

I've given up any idea of caring what I look like as I trot off to the Allotment, and in broad daylight!

scrappydoo

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 09:23 »
 :lol: Hi Walker
                 I've just put this on another thread but hope it may help you.
  I Have had my girls 8 off, between six & eight months (brought off grannie annie). I have two hanging feeders at head height in which I put layers pellets that already contain the grit. One half depth (to stop young chucks drowning) kitchen type plastic bowl (50p from local diy) sunk half it's depth into ground. Wood shavings (a couple of quid a lrg sack from local carpenter/joiner) on floor in coop and shredded paper (via family & friends + work) in nest box's. for hygiene I use Jeyes fluid spray type. For a treat I make up a mash once a week of old bread, cake, veggies etc (also contributed to by family & neighbours) blended then boiled & then simmered for 30 mins then kept in plastic containers in spare fridge in shed. Another treat is to hang half a cabbage approx 4-6 inches above head height for them to jump for (stops boredom & keeps them exercised and warm).

Hope this helps

Regards Steve
Groucho Marx:
Chicken? What about chicken? Why, I had an uncle who thought he was one. My aunt almost divorced him, but we needed the egg

doodoo

• dora myrtle and olivia
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 18:36 »
doodoo...

dressing gown, wellies no make up

aye, it gets you that way  :D

I've given up any idea of caring what I look like as I trot off to the Allotment, and in broad daylight!
ha ha glad this sounds familiar lol

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
chickens

Started by linda white on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2011, 20:08
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 29 queries.