heat ?please advise

• 16 Replies

mrs chook

• Experienced Member
heat ?please advise
« on: July 07, 2013, 19:12 »
Hi. I lost a chook in march. Am worried about another. Up till half hour ago she was running around with the other. Being a typical naughty chook & pestering us while we ate tea. Now she not moving , wings out & eyes closed - tail down too . Could this be the heat or does she sound ill? Really don't want the heart ache of another sick chook .

Thanks.
Keep calm & talk to chickens :)

Springlands

Re: heat or ill chook?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 19:34 »
Sounds like she is trying to cool off  - my hens have been behaving in the same way today - some have been hiding under the hen house. If she is still behaving like that when it gets cooler you might need to take her to the vets.

Springlands

Re: heat ?please advise
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 19:39 »
It sounds like she is trying to cool down - my hens do they same in hot weather. If she is still acting the same way when it cools down you might have to take her to the vets just to be sure.

mrs chook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 19:40 »
Thanks 4 your quick response! Do your girls pick up as the evening goes on? She just seems so lifeless :-(

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 19:45 »
Mine have certainly livened up over the last hour and are all eating but then it has got cooler here.

How old is she - could she be beginning to feel the effects of age.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 19:47 by Springlands »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 19:50 »
I've merged the 2 threads together, no point in having 2 asking the same question  ;)

Springlands

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 19:52 »
So that is what happened to my first reply - thought I had not posted properly.

mrs chook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 19:59 »
Got at PoL Feb. She had a worm & a little drink but back to lifeless . She is wormed last month & coop treated 4 lice etc (although no sign)

Springlands

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 20:05 »
She is still quite young then - she could just still be feeling the effects of the heat but as I said before if she is no better in the morning you might need to take her to the vets. If possible separate her from other hens so she does not get bullied.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 20:23 »
Does she have somewhere shady during the day so that she can keep cool?
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Springlands

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 20:31 »
Some of mine have dug under the hen house and spent most of the day there -looks like they are trying for the great escape.

mrs chook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 20:38 »
They free range all over & have their pick of the shade...usually under the patio table !! She has had a little walk & eaten some grass . I hope she'll b ok.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 20:40 »
Some of mine have dug under the hen house and spent most of the day there -looks like they are trying for the great escape.

They sometimes do that as the soil can be cool if it has some moisture in it.

They free range all over & have their pick of the shade...usually under the patio table !! She has had a little walk & eaten some grass . I hope she'll b ok.

You could try her with some layers pellets soaked in boiled water to make a porridge and cooled.  If she eats it she will get food and be hydrated at the same time.   ;)

mrs chook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 07:11 »
Different chook this morning! Eating & drinking lots, helping herself to my strawberries & running around !! Will keep an eye on her & hubby popping back to check @ lunch .

Thanks 4 all the advice !"

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 08:31 »
Different chook this morning! Eating & drinking lots, helping herself to my strawberries & running around !! Will keep an eye on her & hubby popping back to check @ lunch .

Thanks 4 all the advice !"

That's good news. I have to admit I was a little alarmed when my new chooks were doing the same. They have the choice of two buildings and the whole house and run are under a walnut and pear tree. But were still panting and holding their wings out, as well as coming out in the morning panting. But they are fine and growing well, putting all their energy into looking beautiful and hopefully will one day lay! There are a lot of things to get used to in a country with proper sun.

question
Best way to heat a hen house?

Started by Ringlets on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 11, 2011, 15:02
by Casey76
xx
Heat lamps

Started by Holly Carney on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 23, 2010, 23:19
by GrannieAnnie
xx
heat lamps

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
heat lamps

Started by lisa80 on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 08:06
by lisa80

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 28 queries.