chicks

• 3 Replies

lme

chicks
« on: July 07, 2013, 12:25 »
Hi can someone give me advice please I have some eggs in my incubator they are RIR x Light Sussex or supposed to be but when I picked them up there was no sign of any white chickens just RIR. so if they are RIR Light Sussex x RIR Light Sussex will they be self sexing?

splash101

Re: chicks
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 14:18 »
I was told by a breeder (so i dont know if this is accurate or not) If you cross a RIR cockerel with a Light sussex hen the chicks are self sexing.
White chicks being cockerels and brown being hens.

I dont know what would happen if the cockerel was a light sussex and the hen was a rir  :blink: all of that sort of stuff goes over my head.

I dont even know how true it is, just what the breeder was telling me.

lme

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 10:22 »
well so far I have got 5 white 2 brown and 2 ginger chicks and two still in incubator.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 11:12 »
You really need to know which way round the cross was as that will determine what chicks you get.  I believe if the cockerel is RIR and hen Light Sussex you get the normal brown hen like Bovan Goldline.  It sounds as if that might not be the cross you have if you have only seen RIR chickens.  If the cockerel was Light Sussex I think you get a mainly white hen.  Have a read of THIS topic. 

I wouldn't be rushing to cull any unwanted cockerels as you may cull the wrong ones depending on the cross.  If you can post some pictures other members who have bred this cross might be able to advise you.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148
xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie
xx
When can I mix my chicks with my older chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 18:52
by Helenaj
xx
Can I put my old chicks next to my young chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 10:59
by nuzuki

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 36 queries.