Is this common?

• 5 Replies

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
Is this common?
« on: February 29, 2012, 18:37 »
I have 6 bantam silkie girls and 1 cockerel, all are white apart from 1hen who is a cuckoo silkie (dark grey). The cockerel is approx 10 month old and is a bit of a brute regularly treading the girls, numerous times a day, however I have never seen him tread the cuckoo silkie and all of her eggs are infertile  :unsure:, all of the white girls eggs are fertile.

Is it common for a cockerel to be colour prejudice?  :wacko:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Is this common?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 07:54 »
yes, I had one that hated a certain colour hens and another was the same with different colour hens, they can differentiate. That cuckoo hen is lucky as he is a brute at the moment but as he gets older he will calm down and should learn to be gentler.
Staffies are softer than you think.

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 17:41 »
Thanks Joyfull,

Do not think I will keep this cockerel, he is a fine bird but I have some mini miniature silkies and even though he is a bantam is still quite big for them. I have purchased some mini eggs from unrelated stock and hope to get a mini cockerel from those.
Or am I just being to soft, are my little girls hardier than they look?  :blush:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 18:33 »
I've got 2 bantie cockerals and they flounce about bossing all and sundry and jump the girls at every opportunity, but compared to the fistcuffs the ladies are capable of when left to their own devices, I think you might be over anxious over your lad  :)

Spring has sprung for my 2 as well and they are even more testostorone fuelled than usual, but despite the protests and squawking of the girls, they have not injured anyone even with their big spurs and that's more than some of my girls can claim  ;)

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 19:20 »
sorry to go of subject but what are mini mini silkies i have a banti silki and thought she was small  ::)
Chicken crazy

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 21:12 »
They are smaller than the banties, Dinky is approx half of the size of my other bantam girls, and Doris is just a little bigger, more pigeon size if that.
I also have a few large silkies, the eggs from my mini mini girls are approx 1.5", bless  :tongue2: they are sooooo sweet!

xx
is this common

Started by terri on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 21:17
by hillfooter
xx
Is it really common for chickens to get ill??

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 05:38
by gsc
xx
Common chicken illness?

Started by zygchicks on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2006, 22:12
by becky
xx
Common sense warning

Started by Planner on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 12, 2009, 16:33
by violet

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 31 queries.