Old Blackcurrant hedge - advice please.

• 7 Replies

greenhead

• Experienced Member
Old Blackcurrant hedge - advice please.
« on: March 01, 2011, 11:42 »
I have a Black current 'hedge' which is 10+ years old which acts as a border for the next plot.  All bushes have 'big bud' covering 25% or more of the growth.

I would like to grub-out and re plant with new bushes using the same ground (not recommended-I know) to retain the hedge.  How do I prepare the ground before planting?  There is a carpet strip (stair carpet!!) either side of the run which makes me think the bushes are Donkeys years old.

Would I get away with cutting the canes down to the ground and await new growth?

Advise please.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 16:22 by Ice »

crh75

Re: Old Black Current hedge - advice please.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 12:23 »
The recommended method of pruning blackcurrant is to cut out a third of the oldest stems at ground level each year after harvest.
If you cut the lot back it will grow again. 
Try pruning back to groune level as much as you want and clear the old carpet and weeds so you can feed the plants.  Then you can start pruning as per the book next year.  This way you should get great crops.

greenhead

• Experienced Member
Re: Old Black Current hedge - advice please.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 15:47 »
Thanks crh75, I always thought big bud spelt the end of the bush.  Will give it a try on a couple of bushes.

Regards.

crh75

Re: Old Blackcurrant hedge - advice please.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 16:46 »
Just in case I wasn't clear. Make sure you remove all the big buds!

sion01

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 21:26 »
A really old book i've got(1909) says that you can get rid of big bud with a 2% lime sulphur spray.If it's legal or safe in 2011 I don't know.(it also says that dill works against witch craft.I'll never be afraid of my mother in-law again)

Swing Swang

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 22:35 »
The problem isn't the big bud mite so much as the reversion disease that they spread. If you've a heavy infestation on 10+ year old plants my guess is they're infected, but you'll need to check the leaves in a few weeks to make sure. Yields will be reduced and of course you'll be a 'reservoir' of the disease for all your neighbours.

My feeling is that any soft fruit much over 10 years should be grubbed out as the yields will be so much better with new stock

If you're going to have to grub them out why not plant with another (non ribes spp) fruit? Not sure if raspberry (rubus spp) would be suitable, but you could go insane and grow a fig-hedge!

SS

hubballi

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 09:19 »
I had to dig my old B Currant bush out to re-design the garden. It's lying on a pile of soil heeled in to keep it going until I can decide what I am doing with it. Can I replant it in a pot ?

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 09:53 »
I have dissected one of the 'big buds' and could not find any bug inside! then I read they are only 0.25mm (10 thou) long so almost invisible. 

The carpet strips either side of the row - is this to prohibit weeds?  How old is this practise?  Is it still practised?

As to planting in pots - for a few week yes, but as they are 'shallow rooters' which may spread some distance, then for the long term would not recommend, although I am no 'expert' on Black Currents.

xx
blackcurrant advice

Started by barefoot nellie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2010, 22:58
by Ivah
xx
Raspberry, blackcurrant and gooseberry advice

Started by dexyblue on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 14, 2011, 08:25
by gillie
clip
Blackcurrant

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 15, 2017, 23:50
by gobs
xx
blackcurrant

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 12:06
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 32 queries.