pulling up parsnips

• 10 Replies

viettaclark

pulling up parsnips
« on: November 21, 2011, 14:20 »
Reminds me of the story of "The Enormous Turnip". (You all remember that one, surely.....?)
My 'snips are in deeeeep because of the dry Summer and although the earth is fairly moist now they are REALLY imbedded! Doesn't help that they're quite close together in 18" raised beds.
Is there a technique or even an ingenious little tool to get them out without damage? My lovely long roots are snapping or getting mashed by the trowel....... :(
I keep putting off going out to pick because it takes so much time and effort to pull them!!!!!

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: pulling up parsnips
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 14:33 »
Unlike with spuds you can get away with using a spade for loosening parsnips ('cos you know where they are!)

I wouldn't have thought a trowel was quite up to the job and forks have a knack of carving a slice out of them (in my hands at least!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Thrift

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 14:33 »
I know exactly what you mean vietta! Some of mine are so deep that I can't help damaging them with the fork.

savbo

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 15:50 »
hmmmm I'm imagining an 18" length of angle iron welded onto the end of a spade.... last year I rarely managed to get a parsnip up without losing at least the bottom couple of inches

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 15:59 »
Last year I went to pull one of ours and asked hubby for a spade he came back with a hand fork haha he soon realised once we got the 5pm monster out of the ground when I ask for a spade I mean a spade

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 19:22 »
I find it best to start from one end of the row and dig a big hole to the side of the parsnip, and then get hold of the top and pull it to the side. The hole left by this makes getting the next parsnip in line easier without so much digging.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 19:58 »
I use a ditching tool. The blade is about 6" wide and about 15" deep. Perfect for the job and not too expensive at Wickes. It gets right down underneath the parsnips and levers them up from below

ermck1

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 20:02 »
Water them really well and wfter watering give them a wiggle and a tug.

If this doesnt work water and then loosen with a fork.

M

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 01:18 »
I have to use a garden fork on mine, the kind with a 4ft handle, etc, not some bitsy hand trowel or fork. Trick is to get it mid row and do a lot of jiggling back and forth, then progressively push the fork deeper into the soil and jiggle it more.

I usually got the tips out, sometimes almost 3 ft long. Considering mine grow in clay, I find that amazing. obviously the tips liked where they were living  :D

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 06:29 »
I have to use a garden fork on mine, the kind with a 4ft handle, etc, not some bitsy hand trowel or fork. Trick is to get it mid row and do a lot of jiggling back and forth, then progressively push the fork deeper into the soil and jiggle it more.

I usually got the tips out, sometimes almost 3 ft long. Considering mine grow in clay, I find that amazing. obviously the tips liked where they were living  :D

I was going to try to say this yesterday, but the words didn't form as eloquently as yours Trills!

It also works if they're a bit squonky, as our's are in places owing to drought and liquid feed at the wrong time...

viettaclark

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 22:50 »
Can't get up on the bed with my knees! That's why OH built the raised beds.....So the spade is a no-no. However, the water trick may work and I shall gird my loins and give those squonky (such a lovely word, Growster!) parsnips a deluge and a wiggle tomorrow.
Then make some lovely soup.....

xx
Pulling carrots

Started by themoog on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 21, 2009, 19:53
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Anyone pulling 2nd earlies yet

Started by Bozwell on Grow Your Own

41 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 00:08
by Paul Plots
xx
Pulling garlic

Started by kentishlad on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post June 19, 2007, 20:03
by WG.
xx
pulling 2nd earlies

Started by Growing4mykids on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 17, 2013, 11:50
by m1ckz

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 29 queries.