Suitable flooring in a large run?

• 7 Replies

mollie15

Suitable flooring in a large run?
« on: December 10, 2009, 17:37 »
Hi,  I have a run approx 36' X 45' and its very very muddy now, in fact its a struggle to stay upright in there!  :D  Is there anything I do without costing the earth?

poppies

Re: Suitable flooring in a large run?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 17:50 »
Hi we are having this trouble and have put thick straw down, I said I wouldnt do it as it does stop the ground under from drying if you get a nice breezy day, if you do decide too try not to walk on it as the hens dont tread it in and it does keep them clean, I try to walk on the same paths.

carolbriar

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 18:10 »
I have a similar problem but only about half of the run is very muddy.  I ended up putting stepping stones in to try and make sure I don't walk around the muddy bits too much.  I am hoping that it will dry out a bit when we ever get some dry weather! :)
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 21:56 »
bet it won't be dry for months yet! i threw some hemcore down recently and it seems to have done some good. i did put barrow loads of woodchip down months ago yet that's all sank under the mud. good whilst it floats though.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 23:09 »
I've just put bark chips down, the larger pieces rather than the mini stuff which ends up like porridge in no time. 

Brambles

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 23:37 »
Upert, please can you tell me if hemcore smells?   Am thinking of trying it in the hen houses and on the gloopy mud, the mud is getting very smelly in parts and I thought that the hemcore might help....  wood shavings are not much help with the mud/smell and last year I found bark grew fungus really fast.

redspookycooky

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 07:44 »
hi i`m having the same problem, we`ve put a cover over the roof to stop some of the rain getting in and most people i`ve spoken to have advised wood chippings/bark, or to just leave it cos it doesn`t seem to bother the chickens.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 08:48 »
My woodchip (from a local tree surgeon) is about 4 inches deep when laid/raked (it soon has holes in it once they start scratching!) and so far that's been OK ... but I only have three hens in a run 4x4m.

Our 3 new girls are currently elsewhere, but it might be a different story once they're in together.
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

xx
flooring for mud

Started by JACDORE on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 09, 2011, 14:13
by chirpycheepcheep
xx
what flooring for the run

Started by sued on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2008, 16:48
by sued
xx
Flooring in run

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 08, 2009, 20:12
by bee
xx
run flooring help!!

Started by Dawnuss on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 09, 2013, 22:17
by Dawnuss

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 28 queries.