rhubarb

• 5 Replies

m1ckz

rhubarb
« on: July 12, 2009, 07:04 »
i have grown rhubard from seed   its now abour 6 inches   when should i plant it in the ground   runner beans are still infested with blackfly   i cant get rid of it

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 07:18 »
Sorry don't do rhubarb from seed - I'm sure some one else can help there.

Blackfly - depends how organic you wish to be. I feel no guilt zapping them with "Bug Clear"!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 08:48 »
I grew rhubarb from seed a few years ago. I put mine in their final place as soon as I felt they were big enough. The main thing is to make sure the ground is thoroughly prepared, dig in plenty of compost, they like their food. If you aren't happy putting it out now pot it on into ever enlarging pots and then plant out early spring. Yuo won't be able to crop it for another couple of years though . Remember it will die off in the late summer / early autumn, so don't panic!
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 15:38 »
I've grown mine from seeds over the past 2 years. I lost a few planting them out, probably due to drying out. They also seemed to be a favourite for slugs & snails when young so keep them well protected - physically or with pellets. The backbirds round here like to pull at the new stems. Out of the 12 or so I've planted out Im down to 3 - only one of which is big enough to harvest.

Tastes superb though. Wish Id got a few more plants. 

m1ckz

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 07:09 »
thanx for info i did a whole packet of seeds   an have loads    about 8 in 1large pot which are the best  the rest in small pots which are ok but a lot smaller ,now ive put some single into small pots an they seem to have survived   

goodegg

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 19:43 »
spray your black fly whith malt vinegar thats what i use it works a treat :wacko: i have grown rhubarb from seed and have just planted more seed two days ago i transplanted mine when they were about five ins tall.eddie good luck.

xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen
xx
Rhubarb, rhubarb!

Started by bikerjohn on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 30, 2007, 22:35
by bikerjohn
xx
Oh rhubarb!!

Started by Peas let my pumpkins grow on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 11, 2013, 09:37
by syks grower
xx
rhubarb

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 14, 2022, 09:36
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 32 queries.