blighted by blight

• 3 Replies

ricky

blighted by blight
« on: August 21, 2012, 10:09 »
my friends 3 years in a row now the serial killer blight has struck my toms altho i have them in a polytunnel also my spuds have been hit even tho i have been spraying with dithane since early june so its blight resistant toms and spud seed for me so i would like to ask does anybody have any experience of growing these ie. ferline toms/ sarpo spuds please give me as much info as possible also does blight stay dormant in the soil year on year im thinking of my tunnel 42 by 16 alot of soil to shift or is this an old wives tale many thanks

davesellars

Re: blighted by blight
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 10:20 »
I'm in exactly the same position....  I've just ripped up all my plants in the polytunnel (not that there were that many tomatoes on them this year anyway (so I don't feel too bad about it) :tongue2:

I think here in the UK it's too cold for the disease to survive in the soil...  As long as you don't heat the polytunnel over winter it should be OK?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 14:36 »
It cannot over-winter in soil, but can overwinter in blighted tubers left in the soil - so try to get them all out. Any that start to grow again next year need to be killed off quickly.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 17:41 »
Just to add insult to injury, you should probably check whether dithane is still legal in N.I. 

It is no longer legal to use it in England / Wales but I can't find the revocation notice to ascertain whether the same licensing regime (defra) applies with you, or whether you have your own.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Blighted !

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post June 23, 2012, 19:18
by sunshineband
xx
Blighted!

Started by AussieInFrance on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 26, 2016, 08:33
by BabbyAnn
xx
Well and truely blighted.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 02, 2012, 08:32
by Aunt Sally
xx
Blighted Compost?

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 10, 2011, 19:49
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 38 queries.