Where to plant cocktail kiwi fruits

• 2 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Where to plant cocktail kiwi fruits
« on: May 13, 2016, 19:35 »
I have two cocktail kiwis.  I hear they need sun andthey get rather large.  I'm struggling to find somewhere sunny to plant them.  I have a three metre gap with 6 foot posts at each end that I could wire across.  It has autumn raspberries growing between the posts.  Could I train the kiwi above the autumn raspberries?

Could the second cocktail kiwi be grown in a large pot?

Does anybody have any ideas or experience?
Many thanks.

Trikidiki

Re: Where to plant cocktail kiwi fruits
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 22:58 »
I'm having a similar dilemma. I ordered  couple of the variety Jumbo before I realised they needed a pollinator. So I thought I would buy an Issai which is self fertile and I am hoping will pollinate the Jumbos. The nursery I bought it from sent me a normal Kiwi (Jenny, self fertile) by mistake. When I contacted them they sent me the Issai I had ordered and told me to keep the Jenny as well. Now I'm not sure where to put any of them.

I do have a huge goat willow on my plot, I might train one of them up that.

Like you I am thinking of putting one in a large pot.

I have eight cucamelons to try and find a home for also.

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
  • Always learning...usually the hard way!
Re: Where to plant cocktail kiwi fruits
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 12:38 »
Hi! I planted 2 female and 1 male mini or cocktail kiwis last year around the base of an old 4m X 2m polytunnel metal frame which I covered with green heavy duty plastic mesh. Had the polytunnel 2 years before the cover disintegrated so came up with another use for it. The kiwis started twining up the frame last year but growth was quite slow. Actually, the male plant is in semi shade and grew the fastest. Last year was dry though, think that these plants like moisture at the roots so I mulched well over the winter. Keeping fingers crossed as the fruits are sooo good!!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 12:40 by Middlesexbloke »

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 28 queries.