Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today 2017
« Reply #255 on: May 01, 2017, 21:09 »
Whizzed around with the hoe.

Aled

« Reply #256 on: May 02, 2017, 09:19 »
First few shoots are starting to push through. So not much other than having a look at it. I did however stick some cardboard and horse manure in the compost bin!
Cheers
Aled

chillimummy

« Reply #257 on: May 02, 2017, 15:45 »
Not managed to get to plot for few weeks so quite a few weeds showing :(
Spent hour and half weeding and digging over area for peas and beans.
Back soon for another session digging the area ready for brassicas which does not have as many weeds  ;)
Shallots, onions and garlic all showing.
My new other half plot is looking bit wild. Area which has already been dug over ready for squash and pumpkins has stayed weed free. Other part to dig over ready for my potatoes looks weed ridden and soil looks rock hard. Need OH to have a go at that  :lol: then will borrow rotovator from plot neighbour.
The rest of that plot is very overgrown fruit bushes and looks terrible.
Think will have to try and tame some of it but think that is job for next year too  ;)
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

victoria park

« Reply #258 on: May 02, 2017, 17:14 »
Lots and lots of people up there today. The overdue rain has got to the plot holders' roots as well as the crops and seedlings.
Perfect conditions at last for breaking down some beds to a final top tilth. Started planting out some more brassica seedlings that are well on their way. In view of the forecast, sowed runners, French and a third successional crop of peas under mice mesh. All direct.

Now it's just sorting the squash and swede, and it starts to be a doddle and a real pleasure. Heaven today. What a shame the annual Mayday I spent at Padstow obby oss yesterday was such a wet affair. Really wet.

chillimummy

« Reply #259 on: May 02, 2017, 18:54 »
Another hour and a half digging and weeding and starting to feel on top of things. Two thirds of my original half plot dug over and weeded. Have pile of rubbish to burn too.
Next visit will tackle rest of area I will need for sowing brassicas. Some of it not too bad but one patch is covered with clumps of grass, the only bit that I left last year unfortunately!
Have patch where dug up blackcurrants and brambles last year. Covered it today with black plastic. Not growing on that this year because apart from weeds, brambles keep popping up.
Really aching now after three hours of solid digging  :D
OH is looking at rotavators which is fine with me as long as he helps me  :)

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #260 on: May 02, 2017, 19:31 »
Nipped up for a bit after work, didn't go over the long weekend as I was away. Put in some prunings for the peas to climb, and some mesh as the pigeons had pulled a couple up. Hoed raised beds, watered. Onions and early spuds looking good. Planted Dwarf French bean seedlings.Asked OH to make me a munty frame for borlotti beans etc!

Aled

« Reply #261 on: May 03, 2017, 09:45 »
Put in the last row of beetroot and carrots. At last my final French Bean has pushed through!
Cheers
Aled

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #262 on: May 03, 2017, 11:55 »
Cut down damaged asparagus and fleeced the bed. Turning cool here today.
Keep digging

Paul Plots

« Reply #263 on: May 03, 2017, 17:00 »
Put in the last row of beetroot and carrots. At last my final French Bean has pushed through!
Cheers
Aled

You're doing well.... my first tray of beans has been through for a while - second tray not up yet. None planted out although I have plastic wind-breaks in place along both sides of the bean-frame warming up the soil I hope.

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

miggs

« Reply #264 on: May 03, 2017, 20:41 »
Popped in for an hour after work earlier. Just had an hour to do a bit of weeding, hoeing and strimming of paths, then went to pick up SWMBO from work.
Forgot to add I also did a bit of watering as well as it's so dry.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 20:42 by miggs »

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #265 on: May 03, 2017, 23:01 »
Dropped by the plot after work to do a bit of watering.. Ended up getting the hosepipe out, then weeding and finally putting some cloches together and planting out some caulies that I had coming on  in the greenhouse.
Left just after 8pm..
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing, so get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little." - Billy Connolly

Paul Plots

« Reply #266 on: May 04, 2017, 00:14 »
Dropped by the plot after work to do a bit of watering.. Ended up getting the hosepipe out, then weeding and finally putting some cloches together and planting out some caulies that I had coming on  in the greenhouse.
Left just after 8pm..

I loved the after-work visits to the plot....... distress time (before going home for dinner and the evening's marking and planning).

Aled

« Reply #267 on: May 04, 2017, 10:22 »
Ah Paul Pots, its pushed through, but its still on the windowsill of the dining room.... :blush:
Cheers
Aled

chillimummy

« Reply #268 on: May 04, 2017, 23:25 »
Day off work so another three hour digging and weeding session and really feeling like have now starting catching up.   
Back on Sunday with OH and I am going to dig and weed last bit of my original half plot and get my potatoes in finally and he is going to tackle some more of my new half plot.
Hopefully by the following weekend I will be able to rotovate and start sowing peas and beans too.
Trimmed the grass edges.
At home will sow some leeks and brassicas. Thought I was bit late for them but fellow plot holder has only just sown his so will get cabbages, broccoli, sprouts and leeks started.

Gary Circuitt

• To love is to garden
« Reply #269 on: May 06, 2017, 20:57 »
Potted on Tomatoes "Red Cherry", Cosmos "Appollo White" and placed them in the cold frame. Potatoes, Cabbages, Carrots and Brussels all looking good. Strawberries have lots of flowers with the occasional small fruits showing. Runner beans 8 - 10" high but WILL NOT plant them in their final positions till at least 15th as a late frost caught them last year.   
Gary

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

47 Replies
Last post May 14, 2024, 10:39
by snowdrops
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2012

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

2319 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 17:30
by Plot 6B

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 45 queries.