What I did on the plot today 2017

• 513 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the plot today 2017
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2017, 12:40 »
I know how you feel Aled  :lol:

I'm grabbing bits of time this week to get jobs done.  Sowed onions Supersweet and Doux dec Cevennes, plus some Linaria Canon Went (flowers) yesterday. 

Its all part of the windowsill shuffle, to get some of the hardier things done and out of the way before i break out the tomato seeds  :)

victoria park

« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2017, 12:50 »
Yes, the wet weather is a problem, but most beds were dealt with before the Winter.
Woodchipped the barrow runs, and sowed my red shallots under net.
Sowed red cabbage, lettuce and rocket in greenhouse. Noticed my few early Swift potatoes are just peeping up through the greenhouse border soil. Along with the greenhouse peas, they'll be harvested before the tomatoes really take off. Bit of a squeeze in my 12ft by 6ft, but seems to work  :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 12:51 by victoria park »

candygold1

« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2017, 22:22 »
picked a nice big bag of purple sprouting, very happy as my 1st time growing this.

blackberryjam

« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2017, 20:42 »
Bought 3 bags of farmyard manure and compost mix and put them in my greenhouse, ready to put on my raised bedi tomorrow.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 20:58 by blackberryjam »

prestongirl82

« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2017, 21:25 »
Today I planted fruit bushes- 1x raspberry, 1x tayberry, 1x blackcurrant, 1x blackberry, 1x blueberry, 1x gooseberry.
I also put weed membrane down around one edge and put square decking boards down as a path. Did a bit of weeding too- all the rain is making them grow fast  >:(
Managed to slice a bit of my finger off without knowing, thought i'd just trapped it. Lots of blood, but it soon stopped so i carried on digging and turning over the soil.

snowdrops

« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2017, 21:56 »
Today I planted fruit bushes- 1x raspberry, 1x tayberry, 1x blackcurrant, 1x blackberry, 1x blueberry, 1x gooseberry.
I also put weed membrane down around one edge and put square decking boards down as a path. Did a bit of weeding too- all the rain is making them grow fast  >:(
Managed to slice a bit of my finger off without knowing, thought i'd just trapped it. Lots of blood, but it soon stopped so i carried on digging and turning over the soil.

Ouch,ouch, my sympathies are with you, I took a chunk out of mine 2 weeks ago on a tin of cat food😱 Hope your up to date with your tetanus jabs, good reminder for us all
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Robster

« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2017, 23:38 »
Potted on Tomatoes (Akron) and iceberg lettuce.  Planted out broad beans.

Sowed cucumelon.  As I recall they took an age to germinate last year and I nearly gave up on them so they went in today.

stompy

« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2017, 07:04 »
Yesterday

Moved the manure bin/box 1.5m x 1.5m sq
Pulled up a whole house worth of carpets under 3inch of wood chip with grass growing through (that was hard work)  :(
Moved the compst daleks to their new position after emtying them then re filling them again and generally move alsorts of bits around at the top end of the plot.

Then rain and my 4 year olds cold hands stopped play.

Andy

Aled

« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2017, 09:43 »
Pottered around doing some outdoor jobs last night clearing blocked guttering for example. Still too wet to get into the garden but time to plant a few tomato seedlings perhaps this week.
Cheers
Aled

jaydig

« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2017, 14:56 »
I know it's tempting fate, but I've just put in my 'experimental' row of potatoes. Five different varieties that I haven't grown before in a 3)' row, with only 3 or 4 of each. They are Manitou, Pink  Gypsy, Epicure, Maris Bard and another one, but I can remember the name.
I picked some sprouts, dug up parsnips and the last but one lot of the carrots.
Took the spent brassicas out of one of the beds and rolled up the weed suppressant membrane. I've now covered this bed to try to dry it out a bit.
Dug all round the bottoms of the raspberries to try to get rid of as much bindweed root and nettles as I can before the raspberries get going.Decanted a sack of blood, fish and bone into plastic tubs with lids to stop Mr Ratty gnawing his way into it.
Last, but not least, picked myself a huge bunch of daffodils as a reward.

Robster

« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2017, 16:56 »
Did my first serious outdoor sowings today.  radish, beetroot spring onion and leeks.  Planted out some turnips under a plastic tunnel cloche.

Feels nice to be outdoor sowing at last.

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2017, 18:46 »
Managed a full day there today and with free wood and bark given to me made a couple of raised beds. Just need to top them up with compost and they are ready for planting. Fixed the polytunnel where it had sprung leaks and sowed early carrots, parsnips and broad beans. Mulched date flower bed and all the fruit trees and planted a rosemary bush someone gave me. All in all a very productive day 😀

snowdrops

« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2017, 19:03 »
Put the swoe over 2 of the beds.

blackberryjam

« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2017, 19:06 »
Put some of the compost on the raised beds then Dug them over.
Dug up the last two cabbages found a few potatoes when digging over HOPEFULLY WE WON'T HAVE ANY VOLUNTEERS THIS YEAR.
Cut back the brambles in the hedge  and loped a few branches off which were growing over my greenhouse☉🐝🌱

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2017, 11:11 »
I didn't have much time yesterday, but I did manage to pot on the early cabbage and sweet peas, from their small modules to 9cm pots.

The leeks have transplanted well into modules and are growing away, the spinach seedlings are up, as are the early potatoes in buckets and the dwarf container peas.  It is starting to look like I mean business in there.   :D

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2016

Started by grendel on Grow Your Own

533 Replies
Last post December 30, 2016, 16:09
by riggers24
xx
What I did on the plot today 2015

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

923 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 18:35
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 45 queries.