Slug watch

• 7 Replies

snowdrops

Slug watch
« on: October 19, 2013, 07:49 »
Chap on BBC breakfast tv wants us not to kill new Spanish slug. Not sure how to do the linky thing to the programme.
He gave this http://www.slugwatch.co.uk/ to have a look at & let them know where you see them. Doh all over my plot. ;)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Sweetpea C

Re: Slug watch
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 08:13 »
Hello snowdrops, most of my winter cabbages have been eaten so I'm trying coffee grounds first ...
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

allotmentann

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 09:52 »
Was there any particular reason why he doesn't want them killed? I have not seen too many slugs this year at the plot. Lots in my garden, but I leave them be there and just grow things that they don't bother with! I don't think I have seen any like the ones in your link.  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 10:06 »
The "new" Spanish slug looks at bit like some I've seen in my garden for many years - very big and brown with an orange frill, but they are not the ones they are looking to find out more about apparently.

They are adapted to hotter climates by virtue of the amount of slime they produce, which seems to put off many of their usual predators.
They are not frost resistant yet, the concern being that if they hybridise with some of our native slugs they could turn into a race of super slugs, with an appetite and breeding ability to match!  :ohmy:

The "expert" from the JI institute was asking for people to upload pictures of any suspects to the website mentioned by Snowdrops - I'm not sure he necessarily expects people to treat them at pets even though he himself seemed rather fond of them (he's probably not a gardener!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

allotmentann

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 11:49 »
No, probably not a gardener!  :lol: A race of super slugs does not sound the least bit desirable. I have seen a few around with the orange underside. The one in the main photo in that link looks really orangey to me, so I think I would have probably noticed those if they had been around.    :)

Stewart P

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 22:42 »
Lots in my garden, but I leave them be there and just grow things that they don't bother with!

New allotmenteer and interested in this comment.  Is there really anything that the slugs don't bother with?

cadalot

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 06:22 »
Is it a bird
Is it a Plane
No it's
Super Slug.png

allotmentann

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 06:36 »
There are loads of flowers and shrubs slugs don't bother with. It is much harder at the allotment as they like most annual vegetables. Although I would add that with many veg, they only really go for them when they are very young, once the plants are older they are not really interested.    :)

xx
Watch the weather !!

Started by richyrich7 on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post May 16, 2008, 10:53
by PinkTequila
xx
Frost watch

Started by Dantheman on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2014, 20:48
by Dantheman
xx
SLUG PELLETTS

Started by LILLILEAF on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post July 07, 2016, 05:54
by LILLILEAF
xx
HUGE slug

Started by wildeone on General Gardening

32 Replies
Last post September 11, 2007, 14:52
by Lynne

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 30 queries.