Rhubarb varieties

• 5 Replies

radiohead

• Experienced Member
Rhubarb varieties
« on: May 16, 2011, 10:34 »
This is our third season on our plot and when we got it one of the first things I did was to get some rhubarb in...I just love it.
I planted several varieties and have noticed a few pro's and cons....and would welcome other growers views and suggestions on varieties as I may well remove some and replace with 'better' varieties.
Victoria......heavy crops,but stems disapointingly green,with just a pink flush at the base...and average flavour.
Cawood delight.....hard to obtain plants....but deep red stems of very good flavour....downside is you...(or I)...dont get many.
Red champagne....The names enough to make your mouth water.....deep red stems and good flavour,not a heavy cropper though....and mine has produced few but very thick stems.
Timperly early...definately my favourite....lovely red stems in profusion and fine flavour.

I'm thinking of ditching the 2 victoria's on my plot....comments and any other suggestions invited  :)

Kleftiwallah

Re: Rhubarb varieties
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 18:49 »

Ditching the Victoria's ARE YOU MAAAAAD!  bit of an Aid Edmonson there.  Prune, feed, trim but please don't ditch the Victorias. 

I planted three crowns of Champaigne - two are now elswhere and the third is on its way next year.  Not living up to it's expectation.  Mine produce thin sickly stems.    ;)   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 18:55 »
My Glaskins Perpetual will be on its way to the big compost bin in the sky at the end of the year too - waste of space flowers all the time.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 20:45 »
hello all
i have been of site for a time PC went on the blink so rhubarb i normally grow Vitoria have done for some years now set from seed very good crop-er so i decided to try champagne sowed from seed again germinated very well have about 60 good plants potted up ready to set on the lottie although i note other varieties mentioned that may well be worth a try
                                 RW

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 21:38 »

Ditching the Victoria's ARE YOU MAAAAAD!  bit of an Aid Edmonson there.  Prune, feed, trim but please don't ditch the Victorias. 

I planted three crowns of Champaigne - two are now elswhere and the third is on its way next year.  Not living up to it's expectation.  Mine produce thin sickly stems.    ;)   Cheers,   Tony.

LOL....I do lovingly mulch them with well rotted horse doings...water regularly when dry...but cant get away from them being a bit disapointing I'm afraid........gotta say the timperly early is the dogs danglies on my plot....Oh and my victoria's also put up an excessive number of flower stalks to boot!
Thanks for the replies all. :)

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 22:48 »
I grew Victoria from seed 3 springs ago. Only now am igetting a decent crop. Lots of stems but lots are short, and few are as thick as I'd like. But good flavour. Agree that stems are green but does that matter?

Re the flowering issue - I suspect that's more to do with environmental factors. Possibly two v severe winters, hot early dry springs etc? Everyone seems to be having that problem.

xx
rhubarb varieties

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 30, 2019, 08:01
by DHM
xx
Rhubarb varieties

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 20:25
by mumofstig
xx
What's the best rhubarb varieties?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2011, 21:37
by shokkyy
xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 35 queries.