growmore

• 6 Replies

brianc

growmore
« on: April 01, 2015, 18:28 »
Hi all.
        Is it advisable to throw in some growmore into the planting hole for potatoes ?
        or will it be too strong.

pipfit

• Experienced Member
Re: growmore
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 19:42 »
I alwais cover my pots lightly with soil  then add growmore ETC so not in direct contact
Pipfit

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 20:03 »
Agree you don't want the grow more to touch the spuds other than that I think the fertiliser can be below the spud or on the surface. Given the current cool weather you could add some grow more rake it in and then plant your spuds a few days later when it has been adsorbed by soil.

Cheers HH

Keep digging

brianc

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 22:16 »
Thanks for the replies to my question, but will it actually damage or hinder the growth of the tubers ?.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 23:27 »
Grow more will ensure your soil is fertile and help growth of tubers it will not damage them or hinder growth.

Cheers HH

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 11:54 »
Am just thinking that, given the depth of the planting hole, it would be better to sprinkle it on top of the soil because it might take a while for the rain to get down far enough to dissolve it so the roots can start using it as they grow.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 13:56 »
I severely set back some of my tomato plants last year by stupidly adding a thin layer of Growmore at what would be their root level when transplanted, and not mixing it in evenly.

Inorganic fertilisers are more soluble and therefore more quick-acting than organic ones, which also means there is the potential to burn any roots in the immediate vicinity of the granules.

Best to mix it in above your spuds - below them, apart from 'the burning issue' it could get leached away before the potatoes grow sufficient roots to benefit from it.

I plant my spuds in a trench and chuck some Growmore in as I'm covering them up (except when I'm using chicken manure pellets instead!)  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Growmore

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 10, 2007, 09:59
by Scribbler
xx
Growmore

Started by monsta on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post March 10, 2010, 21:26
by Salmo
xx
Growmore

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 20:55
by teflon
xx
Growmore

Started by bluelou on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 20, 2010, 21:43
by whistler

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 37 queries.