suitable settings for chickens

• 9 Replies

barefoot nellie

suitable settings for chickens
« on: June 20, 2010, 20:16 »
Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to this forum and new to the idea of keeping chickens. I've been mulling it over for some time and trying to read up on the subject, but just looking for some personal opinions here.
I have an allotment and have saved room at the back of my plot for a chicken coop, but i'm not sure I want to keep them there for a few reasons. Mainly the fact that I would want to let them roam free as much as possible, and there are loads of foxes on our allotment site. I'm thinking of keeping them at home instead, where we can really enjoy their company and treat them more like pets, and without the need of travelling to the allotment twice a day. However, our garden is quite small and is mostly patio pavement, with a few flower beds around the edges. Would this be suitable for a few chickens to peck around in, or would it be more suitable for them to have grassy bits to peck in? I am considering breaking up a small patch of the paving and getting some grass going, but is it really necessary?
Thanks very much for reading, if you've made it this far. I know it's a bit long.

And thanks for any opinions offered,

Carla

jhub

• jane
Re: suitable settings for chickens
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 20:44 »
Hiya barefoot Nellie and welcome,
there was an identical question to yours from Bunnylou on May 26th- she also wanted to keep chooks at home on concrete. There was so much good advice it's worth a peek.
regardsJane

barefoot nellie

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 18:13 »
Thank you for that, but I can't seem to find the post you mentioned.

It doesn't matter much though, because I think I've changed my mind and am now considering keeping them on my allotment instead. More space and probably much more suitable for the type of chickens I'm thinking of. Although I think it would be easier to have them at home. I still may end up with some bantams at home in the future though!  ;)

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 23:00 »
be very careful if you have any let alone loads off foxes on your site. Build your run strong with a top/roof

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 23:15 »
This one??

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=57614.0

I personally wouldn't keep chickens on concrete or in small spaces, but I know people do and the chickens as long as they are well looked after can be happy, and I'm lucky at the moment as I have a BIG garden.

Some people grow grass and other green stuff in troughs and pots and things so they can put one in the chicken area for the chickens to nibble on if they haven't got their own grass, and even if you did take some of the patio away and grow grass, the chickens would soon turn it to mud/dust!

Good luck with it!!  They are wonderful creatures!

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 07:14 »
Hey Nellie

Please reconsider keeping your chickens on your allotment.  Firstly, they are so much fun and hugely entertaining to have in the garden and, secondly - and more importantly - I have heard so many horror stories about chickens on allotments and what the less intelligent members of our society find it amusing to do to them when no-one is around.

Sadly, the only way to keep your animals safe these days is to keep them where you can see them (and, even then, Mr Fox still manages to sneak past sometimes).  I am so glad that I don't own anything that would impractical to keep the back garden (like a horse) - I'd worry myself sick!

I understand the mess and nuisance involved in breaking up a bit of the patio but, really, if you can spare the space then the back garden is, I think, a much better place for them to be.  And while I'm airing my opinions (well, you did ask :)), I think chickens need attention more than twice a day.  Even with a pop-hole opener so you don't have to let them in and out, you still need to check for eggs regularly, give them fresh water (when it is very hot or very cold, you need to make sure it is cool and fresh/not frozen solid), give them an afternoon treat maybe and I think they also like the company!

I fenced off a corner of my lawn for the chickens and, yes, they soon reduced it to a dustbath but they have pots and the flowerbeds to fuss about in and I have been known, when visiting the garden centre, to bring them home a fresh roll of grass to trash.  I cover the ground with bark chips (I don't spread them out, just dump the bag on the run in a pile and the chickens spend the rest of the day scratching it all out) and, when it gets mucky, I rake the entire lot up and put fresh down - takes half an hour tops.

Really, it would be such a shame to put them on the allotment - you'd miss out on all their funny little antics and I give it a few weeks before you're thinking they'd be better off in the garden...  :tongue2:

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 08:10 »
be very careful if you have any let alone loads off foxes on your site. Build your run strong with a top/roof

You could also consider electric fencing run from a leisure battery.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

barefoot nellie

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 09:47 »
Thank you all for the advice and for the link Grannie! And Amanda, your point about the less intelligent people who might visit the allotment reminded me of the sad reality of my allotment site. We have problems all the time with thieves and kids looking for something to do, so... I'm back to where I started and unsure now.  :wacko:

But I'll reconsider making a space at home because I do want to enjoy their company and it seems I can look after them better if they're here. Just need to work out where to place the run now!

:unsure:

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 11:12 »
Glad you're having a re-think Nellie.  I am sure that there are some very happy chickens on allotments but I would just worry that someone would harm them and, honestly, they are fantastic pets to have about - they are wasted on an allotment where their mad antics might go unnoticed!  :tongue2:

I would fence off a back corner of your garden (give them a sunny corner, if you can - it's easy to give them some shade but you can't give them sun if it doesn't shine on their part of the garden and they do love a bit of sunshine on their feathers).  If part of the flowerbed is in their run then that gives them somewhere to have a good old dig about (but I think I read somewhere on here about putting in a raised flowerbed - or even just an old kids' sandpit - which sounds a brilliant idea) - that's what mine do.  They have dug some lovely big holes under the shrubs in my flowerbeds and lay in them in the shade when it gets too hot. You could also put a few logs in for them to clamber about on and - bingo! - chicken heaven. 

I think you'll sleep so much better at night knowing you can just look out of the window to see how your girls are doing!

Oh, and do check with the neighbours (I assume you weren't thinking of getting a cockerel?).  I asked both of mine and they were thrilled - the lady on one side specifically leaves her bedroom window open so she can hear them bok-bok-boking away.  And a few eggs for them now and again keeps everyone sweet.

You won't regret it - they are fantastic.  My four girls are ex-batts and I have had them almost a year now - love them dearly and have so enjoyed watching them go from the oven-ready moth-eaten mess they were when they arrived to the four feathered footballs (ooh, perhaps I shouldn't mention that word!) that are currently rolling around their run (well, three feathered footballs and one moulting).

I did a lot of reading before I got them (sadly, only found this forum after they had arrived) but did panic a bit when I actually brought them home.  I was so worried I was doing something wrong but as long as you feed them good quality food, make sure they have fresh water and a clean home then everything else you can pick up as you go along.

Good luck Nellie!

pigeonpie

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 23:08 »
I have to agree with AmandaH that it is such a waste of entertainment not to keep chickens where you can see them.  I have 12 ex battery hens (hopefully soon to be more) that free range around my garden and orchard.  I had to laugh today when I was sat on the patio doing some work on the laptop when I heard a chicken running.  I looked up as one of the scruffiest chickens I have came tearing around a corner chasing a moth.  You could almost see her salivating at the thought of such a tasty treat.  Unfortunately for her she just wasn't quite quick enough.  I often get distracted by their antics, from chasing the local cats and any visiting squirrels to the sheer delight in their faces when they dust bath in the flower beds.  They really are such fantastic characters that I miss them when I work away.  My friends kids love to come and visit just to see them and I'm now known as the chicken lady to half the younger inhabitants of the village (and some of the older ones!!!).  I know I'm lucky that I have the space to give them but as long as you can offer the habitat needed for them to show natural behaviour, like scratching, foraging for food and perching then I'm sure they'll have a far better life than a lot of chickens and one heck of a lot better than the A4 sized space that they would have as battery chickens.

xx
Is this suitable for Chickens

Started by seeker on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 10:15
by Foxy
xx
Suitable for feeding chickens as treats?

Started by blulagoo on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 20, 2008, 08:38
by kimT
xx
automatic incubator settings?any ideas pls?

Started by poppie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 07:43
by poppie
xx
Is this suitable?

Started by tam on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 03, 2011, 19:15
by Sassy

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 29 queries.