GRAPES?

• 9 Replies

krystal

GRAPES?
« on: January 17, 2012, 21:45 »
Evening all we brought some grape vines off garden bargains last yr but they have gone all kindda weedy is this right? and when should i expect grapes on them please?
Mum to 2 girls and 1 boy, wife, a border collie blur murl, a rabbit, 10 chickens and 1 cockrel, and 3 fish.

seedman

• Experienced Member
Re: GRAPES?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 21:56 »
Not grown grapes myself but the lads on the lottie say, plant the roots outside feed the vines into the greenhouse seems to work for them  :)
Give me a sense of humor, Lord,
Give me the grace to see a joke,
To get some humour out of life,
And pass it on to other folk.
Happy new year to you all xx

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 21:58 »
Unless they're outdoor grapes.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

seedman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 22:09 »
Unless they're outdoor grapes.
As i said i spoke to a couple of lads on the lottie they had outdoor grapes never grew bigger than a small pea brought the vines inside never looked back one lad does wine from his.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 22:11 »
You didn't say they were outdoor grapes and there are plenty of vines that would grow outside, but not like the extra warmth of a greenhouse.

seedman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 22:20 »
You didn't say they were outdoor grapes and there are plenty of vines that would grow outside, but not like the extra warmth of a greenhouse.
You would not put indoor grapes outside would you, but as we don't get the best of summers i can see their reasoning for putting the vines inside.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 22:23 »
Yeah they look weedy this time of year, now's the time to prune them before they start growing again.
from memory shorten the main stem by 1/3 or to something that looks a bit substantial, prune right back any side shoots to form a spur like on a fruit tree.
As they grow pinch put all side shoots at the 5 leaf point then as they produce side shoots pinch them out at 2 leaves. Leave the leader to run tho' mines been in 3 years now and we had a fair amount of fruit this year, not masses but 5 -6 bunches weighing just over 1lb each.
 Best to double check my pruning guide I get carried away with a pair of secateurs  ::)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 22:24 »
You would not put indoor grapes outside would you, but as we don't get the best of summers i can see their reasoning for putting the vines inside.

You are totally missing the point that I'm trying to establish whether these grapes are being grown in a suitable place. We do not know whether they are indoor or outdoor. I'm asking the question, you are making assumptions.

evie2

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 18:50 »
My grandparents grew grapes in their back porch in the 1930's and they lived north of Glasgow, roots outside branches in.  Apparently they grew like a weed :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 18:58 »

You are totally missing the point that I'm trying to establish whether these grapes are being grown in a suitable place. We do not know whether they are indoor or outdoor. I'm asking the question, you are making assumptions.

So krystal, this is the first place to start -- are they an indoor or outdoor grape variety?

Second is with pruning, asap (see Richie's post for details) as if you leave it much longer, sap starts to rise and the vines will bleed badly.

Third: move 'em if you are going to, before they start to grow
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

clip
Grapes

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 25, 2023, 20:04
by Yorkie
xx
grapes

Started by van connick on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 25, 2007, 18:54
by van connick
xx
Grapes

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 21:23
by Starling
clip
Grapes

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 12, 2019, 08:20
by jambop

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 37 queries.