Help - Poorly chuck Advice Needed

• 9 Replies

tinaq

Help - Poorly chuck Advice Needed
« on: August 11, 2009, 08:50 »
I have a four week white silkie chick and last night it started walking around backwards and its head drooping. It could still feed and drink. It can walk forward and hold its head up on occasion but mainly looks twisted.  Never seen it before. Any ideas please.
I started off with stuart and shell.  Babies arrived, kept ginger and hussy. more babies daisy, stuart little and missy.
I have more babies arriving as I am writing.

Foxy

Re: Help - Poorly chuck Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 09:00 »
Hi there, how long have you had the chick? did you hatch it? the symptoms sounds neurolgical, maybe Mareks which silkies are susceptible too or it could be a vitamin deficency. Check the sell by date on the chick crumb.Try some poultry vitamins(not minerals) in the water, or brewers yeast might help. If it is Mareks though at that age the outlook is not good I'm afraid. :(

tinaq

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 09:08 »
Hi, I hatched the silkies four weeks ago. Bought the eggs off a certain web site not sure if can mention!!  One had poorly leg but doing fine. Two others are fine and this one became poorly last night and moved her into her own little warm home.  I will try the vitamins. Thank you

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 09:29 »
Hello, is there a chance it could of bumped its head? Its sounds a bit like what TMG's baby had, where because silkies have a hole in their skull their brain pushes through a little and is suseptable to bumps cant think of the name but aunty will be along soon if she thinks the symptoms sound the same!
here is a snippet from TMG's thread
Raffles has Parathyroid (diaganosed by our own very clever Aunty) i didn't know silkies and polands have holes in their skulls with the brain bulging through (bred like that for fashion?) and are prone to bashing themselves on the head and getting brain damage, we are taking her to see Will this afternoon and no doubt he will confirm it and give us more antibiotics/anti inflamatory's,
Debbie
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 09:32 by chickenlady »
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tinaq

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 09:38 »
Hi
Never heard of this, certainly learn something new every day in the chuck world.  This is my fourth year and I love my chucks.  I will wait to see what your aunty has to say. Thank you so  much

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 09:42 »
This is the whole thread if you fancied a read!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=42465.0

Debbie

tinaq

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 10:32 »
Hello
Thank you for that, just had a read.  My little one is just like this and she is still feeding and drinking unaided.  I am waiting for my local vet to call back and have a chat.  I am about to move her into a smaller area and already given her some vitamins. Fingers crossed the others will be k and she will recover.  Just named her 'Heaven' as she seems to be looking up there quite a bit bless.

tinaq

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 10:37 »
This is the first time I have used this web site and I am so happy there are people like you out there to help and advise thank you so much Debbie. 
The breeds I have are, white silkie, red pekin bantam, lavander aracana, millie fleur, frizzle and my mad bunch.  Mixed mad and lovely bunch that are for eating eggs only although if a hen gets broody I will let them hatch.  My home will be complete when I have a trio of black silkie, still looking. Love them all. 

tinaq

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 20:58 »
Just to add, my little un doing well. Still eating and drinking and walking alot better.  She coming along nicely. Still got her seperated from the others to give her a chance.  Hopefully a few more days and she will be fit again.
Thank you for your help.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 21:14 »
Glad she's recovering Tina :)

xx
Poorly ex-bat, advice needed!

Started by princesslisabean on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 22:16
by bantam novice
xx
Poorly chook...please, advice needed!

Started by chookchick74 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 17:10
by dizzylizzie
xx
Poorly hen urgent advice needed please

Started by Jane-M on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 11:36
by Jeanette
xx
advice needed for poorly pullet

Started by Sue33 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 14:04
by Sue33

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 33 queries.