Starting again

• 2 Replies

bastonjock

• South Lincolnshire
Starting again
« on: August 22, 2010, 18:57 »
hi Guys

im new to the hen house,i have kept chickens and ducks in the past but after they were descemated by a couple of foxes,i stopped keeping them.Well i have now gone and bought a new hen house with a run,it should be delivered in a few days and the local butcher has offered me eight chicks for free,they are a mixed breed and mixed sex so that should be amusing.

I will go out and get red mite powder,feed,drinking containers and feeding containers,as they are young birds at 8 weeks old,will i need any other items?

bantam novice

Re: Starting again
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 19:37 »
Hello and welcome!  There is a lot of good advice about what you need to get for new chickens.  Off the top of my head I would say some flubenvet wormer, some frontline spray and some diatom.  I'm sure some of the more experienced members will be able to point you in the right direction.  In the meantime Good Luck  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

hillfooter

Re: Starting again
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 02:05 »
hi Guys

im new to the hen house,i have kept chickens and ducks in the past but after they were descemated by a couple of foxes,i stopped keeping them.Well i have now gone and bought a new hen house with a run,it should be delivered in a few days and the local butcher has offered me eight chicks for free,they are a mixed breed and mixed sex so that should be amusing.

I will go out and get red mite powder (Don't bother if your house is wood pressure treated it will certainly be impregnated with insecticide which will keep RM at bay for a couple of years.  Otherwise Barrier RM powder isn't effective anyway costs 20 times the price of Diatom which is, so use Diatom painted on the roosts and in all corners and cracks around the interior and nestboxes. ) , feed (get growers pellets if possible),, drinking containers (get 4ltr or larger  size, the ones with legs or use bricks to raise to vent height to prevent fouling.  Site in the run) and feeding containers  (get the 4-6Kg size gravity feed types and hang these at back height under cover but not in the house but in the run), as they are young birds at 8 weeks old,will i need any other items?  

You won't need flubenvet for a while yet but worrm at around 14 to 16 weeks and once on summer and once in winter.

Better luck with the foxes this time
HF
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 02:12 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

xx
Just starting

Started by Newbie on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 18, 2008, 09:55
by Viv
xx
just starting

Started by kev1986 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 07, 2010, 13:03
by evie2
xx
Just starting out

Started by kelbenjae on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 21:52
by babe
xx
Starting over ... Thanks Mr Fox :-(

Started by gingerplant on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 09:28
by gingerplant

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 28 queries.