re duckling

• 28 Replies

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: re duckling
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 10:26 »
These indoor cages are often found on freecycle as well, so you could have a look there  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Vember

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 11:21 »
The ducklings are beautiful :D

Really pleased all went ok over night :D

Might be best also if you start thinking about where they are going to live once they are big enough to live outside :)
If they are going to be out (free range) in the garden then it will need to be fox proofed and although the house doesn't need to be fancy they do need a cozy bed to sleep in :)

There's info on fox proofing here :

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=25998.0

Please keep us updated as to how they are getting on :D

Sarah :)

phil2005

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 15:48 »
hi all just a update on the duckling .... there doing brill ive put them in a cat carrier and used wood shaveing and they under a heat lamp and there running all over the front room and eating well ... would u say or think i could start giveing them a bit of veggie now .....
i will post a few pics tomoz

Vember

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 16:12 »
That's great news Phil :)

I get a clump of grass, soil and all out of the garden for them to pull at they like that but that's not always possible so you could just chop up grass and pop that in their water :) Another good thing that's really good for babies is dandelions (not from road side obviously) chopped up in their water :)

phil2005

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 18:05 »
just a few pics and update there doing really well i was thinking of trying them in in summer house with 350 w holligin lamp on ....

some pics
we growing.JPG
duck with heal lite.JPG

phil2005

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2009, 18:11 »
plus ive also built a 5foot x 5foot pen for them for when they get bigger and just cant think if to do a pool or pond as i have a little strem or beck at the back with over ducks on there now
we growing.JPG
look at us now.JPG

Vember

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 18:24 »
They are looking really good :)

I think i would either get a sandpit type pond (argos) or dig one out and have it in the run :) I presume the stream is open no protection from foxes?

Is the pen for them to live in at night when they're bigger? or during the day time?

As for going out side in the summer house  ??? Not sure I would risk it I keep mine indoors over night till they are at least 3/4 weeks old :)

too many girls

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 19:18 »
they're looking good Phil.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 20:23 »
They do look well. Would also go for something like a sandpit (or the base of the cage I used). They will grow out of the cat carrier in no time, can't believe how fast mine are growing!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 20:37 »
phil they are really really gorgeous  :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2009, 20:52 »
Not good at old money but think 5' by 5' is going to be a bit small for the 5 of them when they are fully grown although will be fine to begin with. [b]Minimum[/b] recommended for hens is 1m2 per bird but for ducks it is more and most of us recommend at least twice that. My fixed pen is not that but they free range in much more than that every day.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 22:18 »
What kind of heat light are you using Phil?
Cheese makes everything better.

phil2005

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2009, 22:14 »
ok all thanxs for all info ..... the pen was only tem as i was only wanting them in at night  then was going to give them the run of garden ..... the heat lamp was from a lizard shop it was a 60 wat white screw in wich give heat off .... right im getting ready for me hols and then im going into hospital so i have asked my auntie and uncal if they could look after the ducks for me for a while ....
so im thanking everyone for the info that u all give me .......

too many girls

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2009, 22:52 »
ok all thanxs for all info ..... the pen was only tem as i was only wanting them in at night  then was going to give them the run of garden ..... the heat lamp was from a lizard shop it was a 60 wat white screw in wich give heat off .... right im getting ready for me hols and then im going into hospital so i have asked my auntie and uncal if they could look after the ducks for me for a while ....
so im thanking everyone for the info that u all give me .......

if aunty and uncle get's into a few probs we're  here, ready and waiting.................... enjoy your holliday,

xx
DUCKLING

Started by WR1 on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 20:47
by WR1
xx
Possible duckling

Started by dkelly on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 12, 2007, 13:11
by slowef
xx
Only one duckling hatched :0(

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 21, 2012, 21:27
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Wonky Duckling - help please!!

Started by kirstie1978 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 12:18
by kirstie1978

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 30 queries.