Seed potatoes

• 5 Replies

Ballymulvey

Seed potatoes
« on: March 20, 2022, 20:34 »
Hello guys, I am wondering if anyone can assist me. I'm from the rep of Ireland. I have been growing exhibition vegetables for the past 5years. Unfortunately due to brexit English or Scottish seed potatoes are no longer available to us here.

Frustratingly all Irish seed potatoes being offered are totally substandard, covered with scab. Finally my question, if I peel off the scab is there a disinfectant that I can use to actually kill the fungus before I plant them. Any information would be so so helpful.

Patrick

AndyRVTR

Re: Seed potatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 21:35 »
I know potatoes with scab can be used for cooking etc by cutting off the affected skin, but I don't believe there's any sort of treatment to prevent crops being reinfected when using infected potatoes to be used as seed! What about using store bought potatoes to use as seeds this year until supply improves?

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 22:33 »
I don’t think using potatoes with scab is viable I’m afraid. Not sure anything would disinfect them. My only thought is whether a friend in the north of Ireland could source you some seed potatoes. ( Assuming this could happen legally )
Good luck HH
Keep digging

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2022, 23:36 »
You could cut out a small amount before planting, and let the wet areas dry out for a few days before planting.
But if yours are as badly affected as you say, then I doubt this would help....

Rob the rake

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 22:55 »
I don’t think using potatoes with scab is viable I’m afraid. Not sure anything would disinfect them. My only thought is whether a friend in the north of Ireland could source you some seed potatoes. ( Assuming this could happen legally )
Good luck HH

Could you expand on this please, HH. The old literature points to scab as being a disease which can be avoided by soil pH adjustment. Is this only partially true?
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 09:05 »
Hi Rob
I’m sure you are correct if you are starting with scab free seed potatoes.
My comment on the viability was my personal view I don’t think people would normally plant diseased spuds. I’m not aware of any scientific data on this I’m afraid however a quick google shows several websites caution against use of seed spuds with scab. The disease can contaminate the soil and impact other crops as well as your potatoes so seems definitely something to avoid.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 09:12 by Hampshire Hog »

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
question
Seed potatoes

Started by royh on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 18, 2010, 14:26
by Stevens706
xx
seed potatoes what to look for

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 16, 2014, 21:48
by Totty
sad
Seed potatoes

Started by kennethc on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 15:00
by kennethc

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 45 queries.