First Poorly Hen Now Perking Up

• 3 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
First Poorly Hen Now Perking Up
« on: September 20, 2009, 09:16 »
I sure hope someone here can shed some light on this situation.  Our top hen, a Black Rock, didn't want to come in last night.  She reluctantly finally went into the run with the others at last.   Then when my husband went to close them into the hen house, she was huddled underneath it by herself, trying to sleep.  He lifted her up into the house and she hasn't come out this morning with the rest of the hens.  Her comb is still bright, she is pooing white water, and is roosting in the hen house now.  We felt her crop, and it is not empty.  My husband just held her and gave her crop a good message.  She finally made a fuss so we let her down.  Now she is standing alone sleeping on her feet in the middle of our garden.

I gave the hens whole wheat bread and tuna fish (cat food) mixed with lots of water and olive oil drizzled on top yesterday.  Everyone else is buzzying along like normal.  She keeps trying to sleep.  Any ideas?  
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 10:24 by LittleRedHen »
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: First Poorly Hen
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 10:27 »
I sure hope someone here can shed some light on this situation.  Our top hen, a Black Rock, didn't want to come in last night, then when my husband went to close them into the hen house, she was huddled underneath it by herself, trying to sleep.  He lifted her up into the house and she hasnn't come out this morning with the rest of the hens.  Her comb is still bright, she is pooing white water, and is roosting in the hen house now.  We felt her crop, and it is not empty... 

... My husband went out this morning and tried to massage her crop - which is hard to do with her balancing on a perch.  She keeps trying to sleep.  Any ideas?   

Tell us a little more about your hen.  How old is she, is she laying.  It does seem as if she has a crop problem so read our digestive problems article and scroll down to crop problems.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=4345.0

I gave the hens whole wheat bread and tuna fish (cat food) mixed with lots of water and olive oil drizzled on top yesterday.  Everyone else is buzzying along like normal.  My husband went out this morning and tried to massage her crop - which is hard to do with her balancing on a perch.  She keeps trying to sleep.  Any ideas? 

Why are you giving them that to eat ?  It is not really suitable for hens other than as a tiny treat late afternoon and then NO oil !  Layers pellets is the best thing to feed them on !

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Our Hen is Perking Up
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 18:31 »
Thank you, Aunt Sally, for your signposting and admonishment about what I had fed my hen.  She seems alot perkier and has rejoined her mates and eating, drinking.  I'll stick to layer pellets and spinach leaves as a small treat from now on.  What a terrible scare!  I'm such a plunker!   :unsure:  I don't know what I'd do without this forum!  Whew!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: First Poorly Hen Now Perking Up
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 18:59 »
Glad she's getting better :)

I've merged your threads to keep it all together.

xx
Poorly Chicken perking up

Started by Beth on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 11, 2007, 17:17
by Aunt Sally
xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
poorly hen please help

Started by vicpic39 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2009, 22:33
by vicpic39
xx
poorly hen

Started by henkeeper on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 16, 2011, 22:16
by henkeeper

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 29 queries.